Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The white cursor on the black screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ben.Miller.

Ben.Miller.

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

It seems kinda poetic, doesn't it? A white cursor moving on an empty black screen, it can go anywhere it wants, but it is unable to do anything.

I'm working on a friend's computer, I dunno what he did... I probably don't want to know what he did, but it is irrelevent. It's an Acer Extensa 5620, Costco special, nothing special here. henever the computer boots up it boots up to a completely black screen, the only thing there is the white cursor. Now I assumed this was a "screen hide" virus kind of like the icon hider, but I'm completely lost here. Usually you can get around something like that by starting in safe mode, well not this one. I've tried starting up in safe mode and I get the same result. I've also tried going through the setup screen, but nothing there seems out of place. I can't really run anything, or do -anything-. So really anything would be helpful. Basically

Push power button,

computer turns on to Acer screen with the option to "press F2 to enter setup",

then you get a black screen with "windows did not resume properly last time it was shut down blah blah blah safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt or start windows normally" if you choose a safe mode you get the "files loading" screen which details all the start up files, if you click "start windows normally" you get the little green loading bar.

After the loading process is complete the white cursor shows up and everything is black.

No right click response, no ctrl alt del response, no nothing that I can figure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

Have you tried to boot the computer into safe mode? You can press the F8 button right after you hit the F2 button and choose an option like safe mode with networking or last know good configuration. 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

You can download  a ISO file which when it is burned to a CD you will be able to boot into the recovery console.  I would suggest using the Startup Repair option.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/141820-create-recovery-disc.html?ltr=C

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Ben.Miller.

Ben.Miller.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

You can download  a ISO file which when it is burned to a CD you will be able to boot into the recovery console.  I would suggest using the Startup Repair option.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/141820-create-recovery-disc.html?ltr=C

It appears to me that this link describes how to create a recovery disk, assuming you are currently running Vista, and have the original install disks. I'm running Win 7, and buddy never got install disks, and also never created recovery disks.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

It appears to me that this link describes how to create a recovery disk, assuming you are currently running Vista, and have the original install disks.

The following is an excerpt from the tutorial my took you to.

The Recovery Disc created here does not install Vista. It is also not like the OEM Vista recovery DVD that comes with most store bought computers created from the factory recovery partition. Instead it is used only to boot from to repair your already installed Vista.

As I stated in my last post, the disc you will create is used to access the Recovery Console in order to run the Startup Repair.

I'm running Win 7, and buddy never got install disks, and also never created recovery disks.

There is no mention of the operating system being used with this computer.  Since it has been posted in the Vista forum, and this computer was available in both XP and Vista I made the natural assumption that this computer is running Vista.

You posted that you are running Windows 7, do you intend to install Windows 7 on your friend's computer?  If you are you will need the 25 character alphanumeric product code in order to activate it, unless your copy is licensed for multiple installations.

Edited by dc3, 23 February 2013 - 11:11 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Ben.Miller.

Ben.Miller.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

I'll be just repairing the install on his Vista machine if I can. The link in the tutorial just took me to the generic Microsoft site, there was no specific download. I did however manage to find the "DART installer" which apparently is the recovery tool.

Also, how can I complete steps 1-14 without being able to use his computer? Or am I supposed to do that on my machine? How will I revert back to the original recdisk.exe file on my install?

Edited by Ben.Miller., 24 February 2013 - 01:13 AM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

I'll be just repairing the install on his Vista machine if I can.

That is what that website is about.

The link in the tutorial just took me to the generic Microsoft site, there was no specific download.

obviously you didn't read through this or scroll down where it offers the downloads for the 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.

Also, how can I complete steps 1-14 without being able to use his computer?

You can download the file and burn it to a CD on another machine.  You use the disc to boot from, it doesn't open Windows.

How will I revert back to the original recdisk.exe file on my install?

This disc should be used in place of this file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users