Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continuous/Non Stop Windows Updates?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ViperComputerSystems

ViperComputerSystems

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

When doing wipe and reloads of windows on customers computers one of the most time consuming things are doing all the windows updates. Is there a way to run windows updates non stop until it is finished with all the updates? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

Hello V.C.S. and welcome -

There is only one problem, and that is, there may be later updates not included on a USB stick or CD.

So from that point of view, you will still need to go to Updates to be sure that all are installed !!

If one major update is missed, it would be not worth the exercise, as you still need to go back and recheck -

Others have put up similar ideas, and there are a few listed on Google, but you still take the chance of missing one.

If it is a .NET Framework issue, then there can be more trouble than it is worth - You still need to check -

Just from my personal only - - - -

Regards -

#3 ViperComputerSystems

ViperComputerSystems
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

Windows allows you to do check for new updates and install them automatically at a set time daily. I'm wondering if there is a way to check for new updates and install them each time the computer is restated.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

Hi -
First you can set Windows Updates to install at any given time every day (but I do not see an option for On Reboot)

You can set these for daily download and install at 8AM or 4PM if that suits your finish time.

How To: Download and store Windows 7 updates One of the better Tutorials from Google

There are similar ones for XP ETC. -

Thank You -

EDIT -

I know that most of this is not what you want, but I could not find any Reboot option -

Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 22 February 2013 - 01:53 AM.

#5 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

When doing wipe and reloads of windows on customers computers one of the most time consuming things are doing all the windows updates. Is there a way to run windows updates non stop until it is finished with all the updates? 

Hello, and welcome to Bleeping Computer :)

A quick disclaimer: I am not exactly impartial in my tool recommendation to come. I have spent very, very many hours working with this particular tool, making it do wacky things for various people, fixing it when it breaks, trying to improve it, etc. etc.

But it is exactly what you need, and I know of no competitor products/alternatives.

It is completely and perfectly free though (just in case I was making it sound like it isn't).

WSUSOffline: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Seriously, it is exactly what you need.

Basically, you run it once, and it downloads all of the updates you choose it to (maybe you choose, Vista & 7 (x86, x64), or maybe XP as well, Office 2007, 2010, MSE, Windows Defender definitions, IE9, VC++ Runtimes, etc. etc. Whatever, you decide which things you want. It will then run you off some enormous Vista, 7, x86, x64 .iso files. You stick them on a memory stick, insert them into computer to update, you check the exact options you want (maybe this particular machine doesn't want MSE because customer has bought ESET, or whatever), click Start, and it will update, reboot, update, reboot, for several hours, all by itself, until...DONE!

Seriously, I cannot recommend it highly enough (but please do remember that I have worked on it, and so am not impartial).

It will probably take you several days to download all of the updates the first time, and a couple of hours after each patch Tuesday, but seriously, the fact of never having to install lots of updates manually again (and even never having to download them again!) makes it worth its weight in gold, IMO.

One slight problem: it can be a little brittle when a download crashes. Next run will often just return error messages. But these are usually quite easy to fix. And if you get stuck, ask me, as I can usually fix most corruptions fairly easily. I might show you, if you think it will be useful, basically, it is just a case of deleting the bad update & deleting its reference in the hashes file, and then you are good to go again.

Two tips: One, choose NOT to empty the download directory. Then you don't have to re-download everything next patch Tuesday, only the new updates. Two, choose to hash the files for verification: It will pick up bad downloads which will only cause you problems later. But it will also fail when it encounters a bad file. But as I said, easy to solve, I will show you where the files and hashes are in the file structure later today if I get time. And I may be able to help if you get stuck.

I am currently working on some better logging for version 8 (version 7 had better logging - arghh!), and on more robust failed download detection mechanisms - but they aren't quite ready yet - I will release them to the project when ready.

Good luck!

Richard

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

Yes, I'm a bit weird :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users