Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Suggestions for Dual Monitor SFF Graphic's Card?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

What card(s) would you all recommend? 

I have a dc7800 that was given to me and I would like to run dual monitors off it but the same is a SMALL FORM FACTOR so it does not seem that just any card will fit in there?

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF06a/12454-12454-64287-3328898-3328898-3459241.html?dnr=1

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12744_div/12744_div.HTML

Honestly I just want it to be able to run DUAL MONITORS, DVI preferably, but hey if it can play games or do Adobe CS3 stuff, that would be awesome too..

Let me know..

oNe

THis is Pretty much the PC in mind..

Small Form Factor
12744_OV2.gif

1. Monitor (sold separately)

HP Standard Keyboard (PS/2 or USB) or HP USB Smartcard Keyboard 2. Rear I/O: (6) USB 2.0, (1) standard serial port, (1) optional serial port, (1) parallel port, (2) PS/2, (1) RJ-45, (1) VGA, (1) audio in, (1) audio out 7. (1) 3.5" external bay for optional HP 16-in-1 Media Card Reader, diskette drive, or other 3.5" device 3. (1) low profile PCI slot, (2) low profile PCI Express x1 slot, (1) low profile PCI Express x16 (ADD2/SDVO) slot; (2) full-height PCI slots optional (require PCI riser card)* 8. (1) 5.25" external bay for optional optical drive, or other 5.25" device (bay tilts up for device removal and insertion) 9. (1) 3.5" internal bay 4. Front I/O: (2) USB 2.0, headphone and microphone 10. 240-watt or 240-watt 80 PLUS® power supply, 80% efficient, Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) 5. 2-Button Optical Scroll Mouse (PS/2 or USB)
* With PCI riser card option, PCI Express x1 and x16 slots are inaccessible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Based upon the description that you provided, you might be able to do a low profile 8400 GS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=8400+gs+low+profile

Any of those listed should fit...the thing that might cause an issue is the power supply.  I believe many of those will recommend at least a 350W power supply.  They might still work with less, but I cannot guarantee it.

At least some of those listed will support two monitors.

Note that an 8400 GS will not be all that great at gaming, but it might play older/low requirement games.  Should definitely work with Photoshop.

The other overall option is a USB graphics adapter (here is an example: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/VIDU2DVIA/ ...I use it with my one laptop that I use as a desktop replacement...it allows me a third screen in addition to the built-in screen and an external screen using the video output).  You will NOT be able to do anything graphically intensive with such an option, but it will work for basic stuff like email, word processing, etc.  It likely will work with Photoshop, but gaming with it likely will be a "no go" except for the most basic games (similar in nature to the good old built-in Solitaire program in Windows).

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

my sony vgc-rb44g desktop mini-tower needs the slim profile card like what i read, i bought the low budget 1GB nvidia geforce 210. it fit right into that snug spot. it only does about a third of the frames per second (fps) of most gaming GPUs so don't expect high performance out of it and at the same time don't worry about it sucking too much juice out of the power supply . it has the standard vga socket as well as dvi  and hdmi. i had to get an adapter to convert the dvi socket into a vga jack though. so i plugged in the second monitor to the adapter and eureka voila I am loving life with my dual screens. it took a few reboots to finally get it looking right though. hope this helps.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

I spoke too soon, this geforce 210 card burned out a fan and sounded like a bumble bee. this card  was approaching 220 degrees F before blanking out the display. i think i had it installed for about two years. the card always ran warm, but stayed cool enough to run. i now am faced with more choices, the gt 620 or the hd 5450-6450 slim profile low budget option. i may ask this in another topic..... anyone have any experience with the passive cooled cards? i would be curious about the responses.  For a few dollars more the hd 6570 might be another choice although i need to research the thickness.  

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users