Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Make A WIKI For a Business? Where To Begin?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

I am interning(b@stards won't pay me) for a company(but I am using this to get experience maybe get a job in IT). 

They have a very old and redundant database that is just cumbersome to use and access.. Their helpdesk gets alot of calls/emails regarding Mobile devices which they call PDA's. 

I would like to set up a WIKI for the PDA support side but not sure where to begin...  The company network is locked down and on top they would want this to be INTERNAL only, i.e. only on the Intranet..

I know they use both Sharepoint 2007 and Sharepoint 2010. 

Let me know what yall think? 

Also does anyone know any example WIKI's that are tech support in structure? i.e. think Helpdesk. 

let me know players!

oNe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Google says, http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=4&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=19&gs_id=1t&xhr=t&q=How+to+create+a+Wiki&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=How+to+create+a+Wik&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42965579,d.dmg&fp=927076003cc0e274&biw=1280&bih=759

Louis

#3 wantei

wantei

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Making a wiki is simple enough, there are tons of tutorials if you just googled them up.

#4 baleada1

baleada1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

From experience, I know that there is an open source wiki suite known as Mediawiki. It is very powerful in allowing one to create wiki entries. I believe it uses a database format as well, just like wikipedia. Take a look at it and let me know if you have any questions by PM'ing.

#5 Mr Gibberish

Mr Gibberish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

From experience, I know that there is an open source wiki suite known as Mediawiki. It is very powerful in allowing one to create wiki entries. I believe it uses a database format as well, just like wikipedia. Take a look at it and let me know if you have any questions by PM'ing.

I agree, MediaWiki would be a good place to start.

Signature.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Since they're running SharePoint, you can use that as well.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.01.wiki.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee721055%28v=office.14%29.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users