Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

show-hidden application

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Braindust

Braindust

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Hello.

I just ran the Show-Hidden application that revealed I have 338 hidden items found on C drive and 4 found on D drive.

How on earth do I go about deciphering all of this and making sense of anything legitimate and .. not so legitimate, if any, without posting the results here? Irk! help, please?

Edited by Braindust, 21 February 2013 - 06:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "ran the Show-Hidden application"? Hidden files and folders are quite common and, by itself, their presence is not indicative of anything amiss.

#3 Braindust

Braindust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Ah sorry.  The Show-Hidden application by BC.  Sorry, having a bit of trouble replying.. this what you meant??

Edited by Braindust, 21 February 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

I see what you meant now. Sorry, I was unfamiliar with that tool (must be new.)

The output of the tool lists all hidden folders (and optionally files too.) There's no hard rule for determining whether a given hidden file or folder ought to be hidden or whether it's malicious. Google and your antivirus will be able to help you here, but with hundreds of items that will take a while.

Generally, each hard drive will have at least 2 hidden folders and zero or more hidden files. The drive where Windows is installed will likely have several hundred hidden folders, mostly stored inside the main Windows folder, the Users (or Documents and Settings) folder,  and the Program Files folder(s). Folders at the root of the drive that will always be hidden include the Boot folder (newer versions of Windows), the $Recycle.Bin folder, and the System Volume Information folder.

#5 Braindust

Braindust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Thank you for that detailed reply.. guess I have some research to do.. yikes!  I did wonder why there are 3 instances of recycle bin on D drive, hopefully that is normal.  Was very eager to try the application as soon as it became available. 

Thanks again :) 

Hopefully this won't be posted twice.. still struggling to reply. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users