Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Way To Learn Linux?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

I would love to teach myself Linux, but not quite sure where the hizzy to start? 

Initially I was thinking of just getting a Raspberry PI and just using that as on Entry point...but the more and more I read about it I'm thinking that may not be the best way...  Also the d@m things are almost impossible to obtain...

let me know party peoples!

oNe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Hi,

the easiest way to get used to it, is probably to install it on a flash drive or burn it onto CD and just boot from that and use it there. Learning by doing. smile.png You'll see it's not that different from using windows.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

http://www.linux.org/tutorial

#4 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

jfruch1 gave a great link

How To Install Software in Linux appliies to all distros

Slackware Linux Essentials is a good primer

Beginners Links

SystemRescueCD

I got a barebones Shuttle KPC and a bunch of good used hard drives and simply installed different distros on different drives, swapping them out as I saw fit.

Nowadays, Virtual Machine does the same thing albeit a little more dearly for the hardware that will handle whichever flavor of VM decided upon.

Don't be afraid to have to reinstall, either.

SystemRescueCD is a great tool. I suggest learning it and the CLI, too.

Just go fo it!

Edited by pane-free, 21 February 2013 - 10:04 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#5 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

5 Best Place to Learn Linux – Linux Tutorial Sites

http://www.codefear.com/linux/5-best-place-to-learn-linux-tutorial-sites/

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

Depending on what part of linux you want to use and flavor and if you want a desktop environment or just use terminal. These days I stick to terminal for most of the stuff I do such as moving files around and installing programs. Starting up a desktop flavor of linux such as ubuntu isn't that hard, there are many great tutorials, such as those linked above. But I must say if anything, when/if you want to learn terminal/console commands, good ole man page will help you more than anything (type man in console). Linux does open a lot of possibilities for many things, its awesome as a server too. Just read around the various communities and actually go install it on a thumb drive and test it out. The best way in life to learn, is to mess with it until it breaks then learn why it broke. smile.png

Edit: fixed typo

Edited by computerxpds, 22 February 2013 - 08:17 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

well I have played around with Ubuntu on desktops but didn't really learn much, maybe because I was running off a LIVE Cd instead of installing..

I also have played around with Backtrack to get free internet, but now that the world uses WP2 instead of WEP, I know longer have the success I used to have..

oNe

#8 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

@computerxpds  :P

I've got a brand spankin' new desktop (Win7) and haven't really loaded too much stuff on it that I would care about losing and with that in mind I'm going to try to doing the Install Ubuntu with the Windows Installer to see:

1) if it works
2) what it looks like
3) what the heck this Linux thing is all about
4) try to learn something

@ Phabeon, like computerxpds said:

The best way in life to learn, is to mess with it until it breaks then learn why it broke. smile.png

So here we go....

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Per what it looks like, That is dependent largely on which flavor/distro you use. Ubuntu 12.10 uses the unity desktop environment, I personally prefer gnome, been using ubuntu since around version 5 or 6, so when they switched to unity I started to install gnome on new installs of 12.10, but again that's just me. :) As per "what the heck this Linux thing is all about", that's pretty simple depending on how you look at it, for me its about open source, customization, the community, and not using windows. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#10 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

www.tldp.org its off the heezy

#11 mainemack

mainemack

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

I like tldp.org well, also (The Linux Documentation Project) for tutorials.

I was told by several smart people, "the best way to LEARN linux is to install the Slackware distribution."  Other popular distributions like Ubuntu and Redhat are popular, because they try to hide the details.  In Slackware, you're touching the Unix, not a gui.  Mmmm...learning.  Combine Slackware with a couple of tldp.org tutorials on what linux is doing when it boots up, good stuff.

#12 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

I think the best way to learn Linux is to try and install ANY Hard ware or alter any distrobution past it's Out OF the Box state, trouble will find you and you will be forced to learn.

I recommend that you get a test computer or install to a partition, in the event you actually have to accomplish a task, you can always fll back on the proprietary software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users