Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My over-active hard drive is slowing everything up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Hi,.my PC froze a few days ago and I got a message out of the blue something like "corrupted files, use chkdsk".

So I ran chkdsk and it seemed to do its work as the screen was filled with dozens of scrolling messages for 10 minutes such as "chkdsk replacing files" etc.

But since then my PC has been running very slow because the hard drive "working" light is on for long periods as if something is going on in the background, slowing everything up. For example the light has been on and the drive has been whirring away all the time I've been typing this post.

I've run AVG and Adaware scans with no result.

Any idea what's going on?

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 21 February 2013 - 06:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

I suggest you go to the website of your hd manufacturer and download and run their diagnostic utility

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Thanks but I ran a Sys Restore then ran chkdsk again, did a couple more AVG and Adaware scans and the problem seems to have gone away..:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users