Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XP Professional not recognizing SeaGate GoFlex Hardrive

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gertiembarber

gertiembarber

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

smashcomp.gif I have a portable Seagate portable hard drive loaded on my computer...awhile back I safely un-pluged the harddrive for about a month and now the computer doesn't recgonize the Seagate product? From time to time I get a message saying I have 4171 files safely downloaded, I click on Computer and there is not an icon for Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex?   

Edited by jgweed, 22 February 2013 - 09:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Does the drive show up in Disc Management? Does it work on other systems?

And about the message you see - when do you see it, where do you see it, and EXACTLY what does it say?

#3 gertiembarber

gertiembarber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

What do I click on to find Disc Management?  The box I see from time to time shows up in a small box in the lower right screen...it says you have successfully uploaded 4175 files?  This same box and message has been showing up for quiet sometime now...

smashcomp.gif

#4 gertiembarber

gertiembarber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Merged topics. Topic title was: Memo Instant Backup showing at bottom right side of screen?

smashcomp.gif I have a portable Seagate portable hard drive loaded on my computer...awhile back I safely un-pluged the harddrive for about a month and now the computer doesn't recgonize the Seagate product? From time to time I get a message saying I have 4171 files safely downloaded, I click on Computer and there is not an icon for Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex?

Memo Instant Backup shows up sometime in the right bottom of screen and lets me know I have 4175 files safely uploaded, but my computer isn't showing how to find my Seagate GoFlex Hardrive...I tried Start Menu and go to Computer, but nothing there showing the Seagate GoFlex to click on?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 February 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:01 AM

What do I click on to find Disc Management?  

smashcomp.gif

Which version of Windows are you using?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

What do I click on to find Disc Management?  The box I see from time to time shows up in a small box in the lower right screen...it says you have successfully uploaded 4175 files?  This same box and message has been showing up for quiet sometime now...

smashcomp.gif

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disc Management.

Also, it sounds as though that message you see is from some third party backup software you use - it has nothing to do with whether or not you can see the drive.

#7 gertiembarber

gertiembarber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

I went to Disc management and found out it was healthy, no Seagate GoFlex Hardrive listed there either? 

What shall I try next...

Thank you!

#8 gertiembarber

gertiembarber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Am using Windows XP Professional 32 bit...

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

I went to Disc management and found out it was healthy, no Seagate GoFlex Hardrive listed there either? 

What shall I try next...

Thank you!

Sorry, I don't understand. How did you find out it was healthy if it's not listed.

#10 gertiembarber

gertiembarber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

This refers to my computer...I have a new program recently installed called ReImage and after it ran several updates on my file system the results told me my computer was healthy...However, I needed more space on the Harddrive and saved a lot of my documents and pictures on CD's and this seemed to improve my speed also...
I have been cleared through Seagate to send the hardrive in question back for a new one since my warranty has'T expired, but on second thought I have some really important material on this Hard Drive that might not be safe in others hands.
Sorry for the misunderstanding? Still need help in trying ot find out why my computer isn't recgonizing my Seagate Free Agent GoFlex Hardrive?
gertie

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Have you tried the drive on a different computer? If not, please do.

#12 gertiembarber

gertiembarber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

O.K. It may be MOnday before I can have access to another computer...will let you know if its successful...
Thanks Alan
Gertie

#13 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

I have a 1TB FreeAgent® GoFlex™ Desk External Hard Drive and a 2TB FreeAgent® GoFlex™ Desk External Hard Drive I don't know if they are the same drive as yours? Sometimes they don't show in Windows Explorer or My Computer. You have to make sure the power light comes on, unplug power plug in power lead before they will show. I think they are slow in powering up.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#14 gertiembarber

gertiembarber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

I tried the Seagate Portable Hardrive on another computer and went into My Computer and still not recgonizing the Seagate device? Although I did go into Memo INstant backup and a small screen popped up and wanted to know which device I wanted to unplug?

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

If the drive doesn't show up on more than one computer it's very likely the drive is dead or dying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users