Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MY COMPUTER STOPS RESPONDING WHEN CONNECTED TO INTERNET!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ShallinIAm

ShallinIAm

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Ok so this is the problem....my computer was working perfectly fine then all of a sudden it just stopped responding. when i restart my computer with out being connected to internet access everything works just fine. soon as I turn on my wifi it just stops responding nothing will open it wont let me do anything at all it just totally freezes. If i restart it in safe mode with networking it will work just fine and if i log onto another account on my computer that will work just fine also. Ive ran AVG several times and the first couple of times it found a few things and erased them, now if i run it it says my compuer is clean. I also ran malwarebytes several times and the same thing happened with that. It found a few things the first time and cleaned them up and now it says nothing is wrong. Also I have a few windows updates that won't download, they keep saying that the install failed and asks me if I want to try again. I have no idea what else to do and I don't want to wipe my computer out and reinstall windows because I will loose all my pictures and music. Can anyone help me at all?

Edited by hamluis, 22 February 2013 - 08:45 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

Hi,

As a first step, beg, borrow or steal an external hard drive and back up your data. Or else burn it to DVDs. This will at least protect your data.

It's weird that it should only happen on one user account on your computer, it suggests a conflict inside that account. What do you mean when you say "You turn on your wi-fi" ?  On most computers the wi-fi turns on automatically as you boot them. If you mean when you open a browser to go on-line, then I would suggest uninstalling the browser and reinstalling it.

If you mean that you only plug in / turn on / connect your wi-fi from time to time, the problem might be with your networking software. In which case I would suggest  uninstalling your network drivers and go to the manufacturer for the latest ones ( you may need to use someone else's computer for this bit ! ) and download and install the latest drivers for your networking equipment. You don't say if you are using a laptop, desktop or what, but
the manufacturer of your laptop, if it is one, should have the latest drivers, and if you are using a wireless dongle, as I do in my desktop, its manufacturer should be able to supply the newest drivers.

Een if worst comes to the worst, and you have to do a complete re-install, then Step 1 will protect your data.

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#3 ShallinIAm

ShallinIAm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

my wifi does connect automatically however I have a button to turn it off. Its usually always on I just turned it off to get my computer working. I am using a laptop. I still have no idea why my computer won't update but this is the update that it won't do. my computer was working just fine then all of a sudden I logged on and nothing would open.

Security Update for Microsoft Works 9 (KB2754670)

Installation date: ‎2/‎21/‎2013 3:01 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 646

Update type: Important

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Works 9 that could allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolves that vulnerability.

More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS12-065.mspx

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

If it was my computer I would remove AVG using their online removal tool. AVG causes many problems for many people using Windows 7.

Then I would install MSE

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

After installing MSE  and updating and then a reboot, (whether it request one or not) I would run sfc /scannow.

Run it from the cmd prompt with admin permission. Windows 7 will check it's own system files and repair them if need and possible.

Run sfc /scannow 3 times with a boot after each.

SFC /SCANNOW

Edited by Layback Bear, 22 February 2013 - 03:29 AM.

#5 ShallinIAm

ShallinIAm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Well I didn't install AVG until after my computer started messing up. I'm just curious if its any known viruses that cause this kinda problem. This same thing happened to one of my friends computer before and a cause was never found because he just reinstalled his windows. I have so much stuff on my computer that I wouldn't be able to replace. This is so frustrating! 

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

It is very possible that a file was infected by malware and is corrupt or even removed.

If SFC didn't helpthen the safest cousrse is to

get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.

Include this link back to here...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/486244/my-computer-stops-responding-when-connected-to-internet/#entry2985200

Edited by boopme, 22 February 2013 - 09:22 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 ShallinIAm

ShallinIAm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

When I try to install MSE it says file corrput. So should I go to the next step posted by boopme or should I do something else?

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Yes please follow boopme's advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users