Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried Combofix as last resort, now no internet-system restore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GolfNutt

GolfNutt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

I dug out my son's old Toshiba laptop as a "winter project" because it was supposedly locked up because of malware. I did pretty well on my own and as a last resort, I ran Combofix. Well, now I and found out I couldn't open any desktop programs, so I did a system restore to a date prior to the Combofix fiasco.  No help: It still has no internet connection, has a system Restore failure each time and is basically useless.  I see on your site and forums, each post is handled differently, so I thought I'd ask for your professional expertise to correct my blunder.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Edited by GolfNutt, 21 February 2013 - 03:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Not much I can tell you, other than ComboFix...is a malware tool...and this is the Vista forum.  Issues/questions re malware tools...are not addressed in this forum, since we don't have the expertise to do such and it's beyond the scope of this particular forum..

I can point you to ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html .

Louis

#3 GolfNutt

GolfNutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

Oh, OK. Thanks for the reply.  I thought since the laptop has Windows Vista as the OS, and the System Restore in not operating correctly, Google search sent me to your site.  Should have paid attention to which forum I was on  .  .  .

Cheers  .  .  .

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

Are you able to boot the computer into either normal mode or safe mode?

Orange Blossom fruits_cherry.gif
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 GolfNutt

GolfNutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Thanks hamluis/Orange Blossom,

The OS ended up being so "mangled," I decided to do a complete re-install of Vista. I did try the "Repair" option, but that didn't do anything for me.

Before the Combofix fiasco, I didn't have have any Windows firewall or Security Center (no services entry) services in the Admin Tools page.

After loading the drivers for the wireless network, I'm back on line and I think all's well.

Just want to pass a big THANKS for responding.  This was actually my very first time posting anything on a computer assistance website.

I will definitely be contributing to the site. You've got some excellent information and your site's been added to my favorites   .  .  .

P.S. for Orange Blossom:  Yes, it would boot in both, but it was stuck in the Windows update/cannnot install changes/reverting changes  .  .  .  loop. A big mess.

Edited by GolfNutt, 22 February 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for letting us know that you resolved it.

I suspect that a clean install was the best possible solution, since you had that capability and the "winter project" could be accomplished by just doing a clean install.

Happy computing:).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users