Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TCP/IP or network adapter problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LadyMorella

LadyMorella

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I am having a problem with a computer I recieved from a coworker who quit the company. This computer is running Windows XP Media Center edition. My company has a workgroup set up so it seems like it has what it needs.

The computer is having problems that when it is rebooted or shut down it loses network connectivity. No internet nor interoffice network. When I go to cmd>ipconfig to see what is going on I get this message:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\[computer]>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

C:\Documents and Settings\[computer]>

I looked around and found that if I type in:

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and then reboot I get network connectivity back. However if I set the static IP again it will have the same problem after rebooting one time. If I leave it on DHCP it will be good for 3-5 reboots before having the same problem. I have delt with the computer this way for a while, but it is starting to drive me crazy.

I looked at the network adapter and there are three entries with two having an exclamation point on it. Both report

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

However I can't seem to figure out how to update the driver. I don't seem to have the driver disk that came with the computer. Windows can't find it. Intel doesn't seem to have that driver on their website and I decided to even check Dell in case they had some special version. That didn't help either. I'm not sure where to go from here.

I decided at one point to attempt to uninstall the drivers from the two components with the problem, but it won't allow it to be uninstalled. Which I suppose is a good thing considering the driver I found that I thought was for it was not.

I attached the Device manager screenshot as I can't recall usually seeing three items in the Network Adapter section without there being wireless installed, but I don't spend too much time in Device Manager.

Any ideas of what I can do from here? The computer had a trojan about a year ago with the previous user, so I'm guessing it might be related to that, but I don't have a copy of Windows XP Media Center to reinstall the OS from either.

The Computer:

Dell Demension E520

Windows XP Media Center SP3

Attached Files

Edited by LadyMorella, 21 February 2013 - 03:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

They are just left overs after trend micro has been uninstalled.

Press Windows+R key and type

ncpa.cpl and click ok

Right click on it your LAN connection -properties

1054212_a.jpg

Uncheck Trend Micro Common Firewall Driver and click on Uninstall

#3 LadyMorella

LadyMorella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

What is the Trend Micro Common Firewall Driver?

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Do you see anything similar to picture in LAN properties?

#5 LadyMorella

LadyMorella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, I'm just wondering what it is and why it got on the computer. Previously it had some sort of wireless adapter, a USB on I think. Is it from that?

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

I already explained it

They are just left overs after trend micro has been uninstalled.

Now did the fix work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users