Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning Mac Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teratosis

teratosis

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hi,

I am running OS X 10.8.2 Intel i7. Really new to the Mac OS.

On a Windows PC I use Norton Ghost or Acronis to clone my system drive to a separate HD.

I wanted to setup system A, then clone it to a HD, then "blast" that image to system B. What are a couple ways this can be done? I really would prefer to have something similar to how it is done on the PC. Clone the image to a drive, then use that drive to blast the image to another system.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

I use SuperDuper!: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

The other popular "paid" option is Carbon Copy Cloner.

I will note that a major difference (to my knowledge) between Mac cloning programs (at least SuperDuper!) and Windows cloning programs like Acronis True Image (which I use for my Windows computers) is that SuperDuper! clones a partition/volume...not the whole disk.  Thus, if you have multiple partitions, then you will need to first set those up on the drive and THEN clone each partition.  This also means that SuperDuper will not clone the "recovery" partition that Apple has gone to.  In order to get that recovery partition, you will want to install the Mac OS on the new drive FIRST and then clone the main partition from the old drive to new drive.  I also believe you can use the Mac OS installer to "upgrade" the Mac OS after you clone and it will create the recovery partition  but I have never tried this...just seen comments to that effect.

If you want to go by way of a free option, I believe you can do it with the included Disk Utility in a round about way and maybe directly.

The other overall option is to clean install the Mac OS on the new drive (which will create the recovery partition) and then use the Migration Assistant to migrate all your settings, programs, and data files to the new drive from the old drive.  This is actually what I have tended to do recently when going to a new larger drive.  It can transfer over everything and basically have it all setup the same.  You might need to re-activate some programs (this is generally true after cloning using SuperDuper! too) and maybe tweak a few minor settings.

Edit: I just notice that you are wanting to image from one computer to another rather than say upgrade a drive...did not read to closely.  This will still work, but you do have the be a little careful with brand new models of Macs.  Apple tends to do "special" OS versions for brand new models.  And sometimes those OS versions will only work on that model.  If that is the case, then once Apple updates to the next slight version update, they are usually all using the same OS version and there should be no problems.

Edited by smax013, 21 February 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#3 teratosis

teratosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

That was fast!! haha Thanks a bunch!!!icon_bananas.gif

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor