Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems downloading during a forum hunt

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 amlind

amlind

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

i belong to a forum of quilting stores and they sponsor a hunt every month whereby you are able to acquire quilt blocks by searching for a specific icon which is hidden on each store's website.   Not all ebsites will offer the opportunity to download the block pattern, but some will.  Once you find the icon ion one of the websites, you click on it and you are taken to a page to register your find.  After you register this website find, you then get directed to the pattern download, or to the option of where you want to go next, which is usually the next website.  Generally, you will find all of the patterns long before you finish the websites.  For a number of months, something happens that prevents the pattern page from being viewed, and i am continually being taken to the registration page, and then to the option of where i want to go next.  I just cannot figure out what is causing this problem, and it is a fun thing I do when I watch tv, but i don't want just a few blocks of a collection.  I even downloaded to a new IE and I also started to run Foxfire using one of the other to see if it would solve the problem.  Nothing has resolved this.  Is anyone familiar with this bug and can help me with it?

Thank you.

ann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

Hello amlind  and Welcome -
May I ask what Antivirus and Firewall program(s) you are using ??
If you are not 100% sure please download and run this tool > >

Please download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE.
NOTE If a security progran complains, ignore it and just allow the program to run
Follow the directions in the black box
When finished please post the Result txt back here -

Thank You -

#3 amlind

amlind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

please give me a website address, not a link.  thanks!!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Per request, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/securitycheck/ .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 February 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hi amlind -

The link will take you to BleepingComputers download area, where the program is described fully.

I must remember to include this in my future posts, and I thank you for reminding me of this -

Where available, 90% of my links are to BleepingComputer downloads that fully describe the program and its use.

If not, I will list the page / program that I am linking to, or tell you if it is a M/soft link -

Thank You -

#6 amlind

amlind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

i am running this program now.  i have a "C" prompt and it is doing "system health check" and has been doing this for about 20 mins.Will it run a long time?  It is helpful to have some idea what is being requested.  :)  In my case, I was not able to get thru with the link.  I will post the results when finished.  If you can give me some idea about how long it should run, it will ease my mind that it is not just cycling.

thanks.

ann

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

I just completed this on one of my computers in about 3.5 minutes -

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.59 
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 (UAC is enabled) 
 Internet Explorer 9 
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled! 
Microsoft Security Essentials  
 Antivirus up to date! 
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Spybot - Search & Destroy
 SUPERAntiSpyware    
 Secunia PSI (2.0.0.4003)  
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.70.0.1100 
 CCleaner    
 JavaFX 2.1.1   
 Java 7 Update 13 
 Adobe Flash Player  11.6.602.168 
 Adobe Reader 9 
 Adobe Reader XI 
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent```````` 
 Microsoft Security Essentials MSMpEng.exe
 Microsoft Security Essentials msseces.exe
 Spybot Teatimer.exe is disabled!
 Microsoft Small Business Business Contact Manager BcmSqlStartupSvc.exe 
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

As the program starts you are asked to "Press any key to continue" -

At this stage I normally just hit the Space bar and the program begins.

It will then go through a few stages and produce a report similar to the one I posted above -

Thank You -

#9 amlind

amlind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

it took a few tries because it didn't give me a screen that was still with the results, it just flipped onto the checking health, etc.  the last time i tried it, it actually gave me a notepad results.  i am uncomfortable publishing this online, because i do not know what vulnerabilities will be listed.  However....  also it mentiones avg pc tuneup, which is not running, i used it for a trial period, and i thought i had uninstalled it.  I am sure you will know.

Attached Files

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

Thank you for persisting with this as it found several remainders of programs that may go back quite a while

First, you need to update to Windows7 Service Pack 1, this should have been done some time ago.

Do you get regular Updates from Windows, as this is the easy way to install the update

As well as parts of AVG you still have parts of Norton left from an earlier stage. These will block certain sites.

Completely remove Norton by running the removal tool from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/norton-removal-tool/dl/48/
All Versions and Sub versions of the program are listed here for you

Bleeping Computer has no data base on AVG uninstall that I found, so I needed to go directly to the site.
From the AVG site these directions are listed for full program removal > >
How to uninstall AVG (remove it permanently from PC)
AVG - FAQ Knowledge Base
Download-tools

How to uninstall AVG (remove it permanently from PC)Click on Start > All Programs > AVG 8.0 > Uninstall AVG
If you experience any problems with the uninstallation procedure, please follow the steps below:
Download the latest installation file of AVG from the Download section of our website
After downloading, run this file and choose the Uninstall Product option in the Select Setup Type dialog
Finish the removal process and restart your computer
:What is AVG Remover?AVG Remover utility (available in the Tools section) removes all parts of AVG installation on your computer, including registry items, installation and user files on your disk, etc. AVG Remover is the least option to be used in case the AVG uninstallation / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.
NOTE: All AVG user settings will be removed after the uninstallation, as well as the Virus Vault content and other item related to AVG installation and use. During the removal procedure you will be asked to restart your computer. Therefore please make sure to finish your work and to save all important data prior to AVG Remover launch

If you have a Java icon  in your Control Panel, the current version is now Update 15.

Click the icon in control Panel, and the second tab is Update > Follow the directions given.

If you are offered the ASK Tool bar during installing then Untick it -

Basically that seemed to be your main problem with remains of 3 Antivirus programs still on the computer -

Regards -

#11 amlind

amlind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

this doesn't seem to have helped me to do the download as the download page will not open for me still.  any ideas?  is there something in the internet options that may need to be changed?

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Hi -

Could you please list or link the Forum or page that is causing you the problem.

I searched several Quilting Forums, but as I am not sure which one, I am not able to check any further -

Thank You -

#13 amlind

amlind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

www.fabshophop.com

Edited by amlind, 23 February 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Thank  you for the link - I now know the "basics" of what you described -

Are any others reporting problems with this, or posting on the site with any similar questions ?

Were you having any other computer problems prior to this, and have you added any other programs not yet listed ?

Adobe Flash Player has been updated. 11.6.602.168 is the current version and should be accessed from Adobe below.
Please untick the Google Chrome option offered with the download -
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=JZEFT

Regards -

#15 amlind

amlind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

typically what has happened is that i will acquire some of the pattern downloads and then no pattern page appears anymore.  I keep doing this hunt, but never offered the pattern page and I realize that something has happened as I should have been offered the pattern page.  I have written to the sites managers, but i have not received a response.  Once I did get a response and they indicated that I had not visited all of the stores so that was their answer.  When I was able to successfully obtain all of the patterns, it did not take me going to all of the stores, maybe 50 at the most.  I really do not know more than this.  I wrote to them a couple of weeks ago (early in February) and I asked them if there were any problems with their security certificates, as I did get a couple of indications (cannot remember if it was a popup type error? not sure what I saw) and I really do not know myself anything about certificates.  They never responded.  Do you think this could be a problem?  As for my pc, I am so busy on it all the time, that I may have added something, but because this problem with this hunt occurred a number of times before, I doubt if adding a program could be the problem, as i doubt that was something that happened each time.  I really do appreciate the time you are taking with this.  If it were not so much fun to get the patterns to use, as well as the 'excuse' to look at the different stores, I would just forget it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users