Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not booting right - MBR issue but usual methods no help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bobbycow36

bobbycow36

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hi,

nearly new Medion PC with 1TB HD and 3GHz CPU, 6GB RAM has taken to not booting right and gives an MBR error message. No obvious reason for this to have happened.

I have tried booting with a start-up disc but no better and I don't have an installation disc.

Have tried System recovery options, Bootrec command and Bootsect command but was unable to get anywhere with Bootrec as it required the installation discs.  The others worked through only to fail at the last hurdle.

I have tried variations on booting in safe mode etc but that has been of no use either and I am at a loss as where to go next.

Suggestions welcomed!

PS -something weird! Been trying to input "bootsect /help" into DOS for more info/help but for some reason it rejects it

saying "not recognised" and similar. Don't understand why.

Edited by bobbycow36, 21 February 2013 - 10:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Use the link below to find out how you can get a copy of the installation disc.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how_to_install_windows_7_without_the_disc.html

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users