Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 error reading Ext. HDD but fine with XP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Johannrandall

Johannrandall

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

Hello everyone!

I'm just wondering with this Ext HDD of mine, it is WD Elements 2Tb. I've been trying to back up my Win 7 laptop with it using the built in MS back up system but it encounters errors (Cycling redunduncy check). I did not pay much attentiion to it until I tried to access the Ext. HDD again with my laptop, it now asks to reformat the HDD, it had CRC error message, and chkdsk ran from cmd said it is in RAW.

But when I tried to access it with another laptop that runs in XP, It seemed running well to me. I could see the all the files. The virtual XP in my VM in my Win 7 laptop was able to access the HDD as well. What gives? I've read somewhere that it's best to back up the files in the HDD because it is about to die on me. Although it is still in limited warranty (The Data Lifeguard Diagnostic from WD also said that it had bad sectors, although I haven't rechecked it yet.)

I'm thinking that there just may be something wrong with the settings in the Win 7 machine, I don't know if a reset of drive assignment, as someone suggested, will solve it, since I haven't tried it yet.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Regards,

Johann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hi Johann

It is possibly this.

When Windows 7 tries to determine the filesystem type on the partition, it does it slightly differently than XP does. Apparently, one of the things that it checks to verify that there is a valid file system is not responding properly so it behaves as if there is not a filesystem on the partition that Windows has a proper driver for.

If I had to guess, I would expect that you are running a 64 bit version of Win 7 and XP is 32 bit and looks at a drive like that differently and that is where the problem happens on Win7 but not on XP.

I would backup the data and see if the warranty will cover replacing the drive.

James

#3 Johannrandall

Johannrandall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the reply James!

Do you think that there is a workaround here? If it is Win 7 that can't understand the HDD, wouldn't there be a way to fix Win 7's inability to  read the HDD?

I may not have said in my first post or it might have been unclear, but this machine (win7) was able to read the HDD before. After trying to backup (to continue or update the current back up on the HDD) the files several times, that this happened. I'm guessing either I might have powered off the laptop during on ongoing backing up process or during that process the laptop's battery died down that caused this.

Anyways, I'm taking your advice and try to back up the data. I just need to find a good working XP machine. I hope I still can get to replace this HDD but it was bought by my sister for me who is living in another country, so the process to get warranty may be a bit complicated.

Regards,

Johann

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hi
Let's look at the boot sector of the partition that shows in XP but not Win7. The damage to the file system is still there (the CRC errors) but we may be able to make it easier for you to get the data off of it using Win7 by fixing the boot sector (if it is the problem blocking the file system from being mounted).

Download TestDisk from
http://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk-6.13.win.zip
and extract it to your desktop.
Open the folder testdisk-6.13
Double click testdisk_win.exe to run it.

TestDisk is a console application so you have to use your keyboard to interact with it instead of your mouse.

Choose Create and hit enter (this makes the file testdisk.log that is automatically created in the folder testdisk-6.13)
You should now see a list of drives.
Select the external drive and choose Proceed and hit enter
Select Intel/PC partition and hit enter
Select Advanced and hit enter
Make sure that the problematic partition is highlighted and
Select Boot and hit enter

Does it say that the Boot sector and the Backup Boot sector are OK and Identical?

If not, I'd like to see the contents of the file testdisk.log that is automatically created in the folder testdisk-6.13 it may just be called testdisk instead of testdisk.log if your Windows is set to hide known extensions and it will have a text file icon.

James

#5 Johannrandall

Johannrandall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Hello James.

I did what you told me and the result said that the Boot sector and Backup Boot are OK and Identical. What does it mean? Let me know if you need the log.

Thanks!

Johann

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

In that case, you need to back up anything that you can't afford to lose (pictures, documents, videos, etc.) then access the drive with XP and run chkdsk on it. It may take a loooong time to run  (sometimes not) but when it is done, if it can fix things, it may lose a few files. That's why you need to backup anything important first.

Then you can get the rest of the stuff off of it in Win7 and run Data Lifeguard again to see if it has errors that qualify it for replacement under warranty.

Chkdsk prioritizes REPAIRING over RECOVERING so if it needs to delete a file in order to fix a problem with the file system, it will.

James

#7 Johannrandall

Johannrandall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Thanks James,

Working on backing it up. I did try to hook it up to another Win7 machine and surprisingly, it is working fine, except for some folders that seem to be corrupted. I haven't tried it with the Win 7 laptop that I initially used. I'll try to recover those erring forlders, what software would you suggest?

Johann

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Sounds like that file system is just on the edge of failure. WD Elements are one of my favorite external drives. They typically don't have the built in encryption by default that makes WD's other external drives so difficult to recover.

In many cases with an Elements drive, I recommend removing it from the enclosure and connecting it directly to the motherboard BUT NOT IN YOUR CASE because of the CRC errors.

The only thing I can think to try to get at those other folders are...

1. Try connecting it to an XP computer and see if that is able to get at least some of the files.

2. Try a paid solution that may be able to work around the errors. You can try the free trial versions of GetDataBackNTFS ($69US if it works, I think) and Restorer Ultimate ($39US if it works, I think).

I do not have any affiliation with those products and change the software I suggest regularly based on things I see and try.

The scans may take a long time on that drive (like 20+hours). But maybe not, you never know :)

If anyone else has another suggestion, feel free to join the party.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users