Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Trouble

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shaun123456

shaun123456

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:16 AM

Please help!!

When I switch my laptop on it boots as far as start menu and switches itself off before I can even click the start menu to adjust settings. Is this a virus or a more serious hardware problem

PS. I have tried Safe mode boot up and all other options available through pressing F10 and all result in the same thing. I have also tried to repair windows through boot cd and once again it switches computer off.

Edited by shaun123456, 02 April 2006 - 07:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:15 AM

I have also tried to repair windows through boot cd and once again it switches computer off.

:If this is the case then it leads me to believe that it is a hardware issue. Perhaps overheating due to a defective or inoperative fan, or dust accumilation inside the computer maybe. Or it could be due to defective RAM. If there are two pieces of RAM you could always remove one and see if this issue persists. If it does, swap the pieces and try again. This would identify which piece of RAM is defective, if any. On a laptop RAM is usally accessable from the underside.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:47 AM

Disable Auto restart on system failure if you have SP2... then call MS with error report.
JU$T1N~1

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:28 PM

To build on what Albert F has said, also check the operation of the power supply fan found at the back top of the case.

You can check the integrity of the RAM by using Memtest86. Download the ISO image file and burn it to a CD using Nero, Roxio or CDBurnerXP Pro. Make sure the BIOS is configured to try to boot from the CD/DVD drive before it tries to boot from the hard drive. Menetest86 should report no errors in 3 complete passes. This could take over an hour to complete but is well worth the knowlege.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users