Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard rive became RAW. recovered one partition after formating

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drsvijay

drsvijay

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

Hello guys,

Kindly help me out here. Hope i can find a solution like a lot of others who have got their problem fixed. 

I was using a WD 250 GB 3.5" HD for the past 5 years. I had 2 partitions in it ( 1. General 2. NS). It was working well until recently when i had some issues with my Windows 7 i thought of reinstalling it. I then shifted most of my data to the external HDD as back up and reinstalled Win 7. The data's were transferred mostly to General Partition which was 150 GB and was now almost 80 percent full after data transfer. After reinstalling Win 7, i had difficulty in accessing the hard drive. But i was able to access it with data recovery software when i just backed up a small portion of files when it got struck when it was backing up photos. Then i was not able to access the HD with NS partition showing on My Computer but not the General Paritition. Whenever i click the NS partition it will get struck. I could not see the General partition at all in Disk management.

Then i gave my HD for data recovery where the professional formatted it and has recovered a partition which was not actually RAW( NS), but could'nt access the other partition which was RAW and says that its cluster is defective, and it keeps asking for formatting.

I want to know if i can recover data from it and what my options are ? I need that partition which is very important to me. Kindly advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

If a data recovery professional could not get the data then it was either overwritten or physically damaged.

Did they say why they could not get it?

James

#3 drsvijay

drsvijay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:03 AM

no its not over written or physically damaged. he just said that the cluster is broken and he will enquire with a different data recovery operator. he said that there is some problem with boot sector too. he could recover data from one partition. but when he tries to recover data from another partition it keeps asking him to format again.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

I apologize but I do not understand that at all. Clusters are used by the operating system not the hard drive. They are groupings of sectors. Sectors are what is on the hard drive.

My concern is that there is a language barrier here so I want to make extra sure that I don't misunderstand.

Did they specifically say that it was "not over written or physically damaged"?

When a data recovery company is unable to get the data from a drive that is working but has a RAW filesystem driver assigned to a partition on it in Windows (while another partition on the drive works fine) it almost always means that the data is gone due to some physical damage (usually bad sectors) or it has been overwritten. Of course, it could also mean that the data recovery service is inept. But I don't like to speak badly of others when I do not know all the details. Often it is just a misunderstanding.

James

#5 drsvijay

drsvijay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

They are not data recovery professionals, but they service computers for leading brands like lenovo / Dell. The service engineer seemed professional, so gave it to him for recovery. He has'nt over written anything on it. He said he could not access it since it keeps asking " Do you want to format the drive and keeps on accessing without reaching the correct sector of the disc". Iam not sure if he had diagnosed it right, He said he will give it to experts for further recovery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users