Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to a 1TB HDD from 500GB

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MethCracker

MethCracker

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

Hi I'm not very computer savvy and was wondering if anyone here knows of a good tutorial on upgrading to a larger HDD. 

The 1TB HDD is used though and I need to erase it before I install it.  Is there a way to do that while your old HDD is in the computer at the same time, 

Thank You in advance smile.png  

They are both SATA by the way

Edited by MethCracker, 20 February 2013 - 11:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

hmm... I like Acronis True Image to clone drives. It'll run you like 30 to 50 bucks though ... but very worth it if you use the software (does much more than just cloning a drive).

If you want to go the free route then I suppose DriveImage XML would suffice.

Both those programs will do what you want - tell me which way you would like to go and I can provide more detailed instruction.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hi I'm not very computer savvy and was wondering if anyone here knows of a good tutorial on upgrading to a larger HDD. 

The 1TB HDD is used though and I need to erase it before I install it.  Is there a way to do that while your old HDD is in the computer at the same time, 

Thank You in advance smile.png  

They are both SATA by the way

As noted by the other poster, you can use a cloning program to clone your setup from old drive to the new drive.  Like the other poster, I use Acronis True Image for this purpose.

As for how to have both drives hooked up the computer, that will depend on your computer.  Is it a desktop computer?  Or is it a laptop?

If it is a laptop, then you will need to either a universal drive adapter (here is an example: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/U3NVSPATA/ , but there are many other versions...many cheaper), an external drive dock (here is an example: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/U3S3HD/ ...again there are many other brands/version, some cheaper), or an external drive enclosure for the new drive at first.  This will allow you to hook up the new drive to the computer and then clone from the old drive to the new.  You can then remove the old drive and install the new drive.

If it is a desktop, then there is a very good chance that you can install the new drive while the old drive is still installed and do the cloning that way.  You can, however, also use one of the external "methods" as described for the laptop scenario...and if your computer does not have a spare internal SATA port (this is generally not the case with desktops), then you would have to use one of the external "methods".

#4 MethCracker

MethCracker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I have a desktop and room to put the 1tb drive in and extra sata ports and cords. I want to erase the 1tb and then run install everything fresh on it with the recovery disks.   I already have everything backed up that i want to keep.  Oh and both hooked up at same time.

Thank You for the quick replies btw

bounce.gif

#5 MethCracker

MethCracker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Oh I know how to install a brand new hdd already from the disks but I just need to know how to erase the used hdd while my current hdd is in also. 

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Using Acronis True Image (since that is what I am familiar with:

If you have both drive installed, then you can boot from the Acronis True Image optical disc (if you downloaded it rather bought a boxed copy, then you should be able to burn a disc).  Once you are booted into True Image, you can run the Clone Wizard tool and basically follow the steps on-screen.  It will allow you to select the older, smaller 500 GB as the origin drive and the 1 TB drive as the destination drive.  Once you do that, you will be asked if you want to delete any existing partitions on the 1 TB drive, which means you do not need to wipe/format the drive separately.  From there, it will go to work.

It will be similar for other cloning programs.

#7 MethCracker

MethCracker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Im gonna use KillDisk my brother told me that works really well.  Have any of you heard about this one?

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Im gonna use KillDisk my brother told me that works really well.  Have any of you heard about this one?

You are talking about the old internal drive after you have cloned it to new drive, correct?

If so, what are you going to do with the drive?  Recycle it?  Or are you going to reuse it as a storage drive or for some other computer?

If you are going to reuse the drive yourself, then a normal format should be fine.

If you are going to give the drive to someone else or recycle it, then doing a "secure wipe" might be a good idea. In that case, using KillDisk certainly a good option...but if you decide to go with True Image in order to clone the old drive to the new drive, then True Image has a "secure wipe" function as well.  I have used it to wipe disks a number of times.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

To do what you wish to do, there is no need to do anything beyond setting up the 1TB drive in Windows Disk Management. (It would also be possible to do it all from the Windows Pre-installation Environment when you boot the Windows setup, but a lot of people prefer the Windows GUI to the Command Line.)  Killdisk works fine but is quite unnecessary, and if you accidentally applied it to the original drive its contents would be lost.

When you add the second drive, on the first occasion you start up the computer, use whatever procedure your particular computer provides to select to still boot from the existing hard drive. If there is no operating system on the new drive, just data, this should not even be necessary, Windows should boot as normal.

Go to Computer/Manage/Disk Management, and you will see both drives, your original drive should be Drive 0 and the new one Drive 1. If the 1GB drive shows a single partition (like if it was a data drive), then choosing a Quick Format will be fine. If it shows more than one partition, by deleting all the partitions, you will clear the drive, and you can create and format a single partition.

Then you should shut down the computer, disconnect the original drive, and boot from the Windows install disk to set up Windows on the new drive.

Is it definite that your install disks provide everything you will need - your Windows setup, drivers etc?

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users