Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get strong wireless performance in a large house!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

I am trying to brainstorm some ideas for the best wireless set up in a house that is 2 stories and 8500 SQ Feet.   The house is wired with ethernet jacks.

Option 1. 

ASUS RT-N66U  and Hawking Hi-Gain HWREN1

Option 2.  Two Apple Airport Extreme's at either end of

the house.

Option 3.  Asus RT-N66U and Linksys WRT54G(DD-WRT Firmware).

What about the placement of the equipment?  Should I place two routers on different floors or put them at either end of the house.  Thanks for any tips on this issue.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

For the Airport Extreme option, you could consider having one be an Airport Express unless you need additional ethernet ports you get with the Extreme.  It will save you some money.

Keep in mind that you can also use Apple routers to expand the wireless (or wired) network wirelessly.  Thus, if you need to extend your WiFi into an area that is not close to an existing ethernet port, you could put an Airport Express (or Extreme or Time Capsule) within range of one of the other Airport stations'  WiFi signal and then extend the network wirelessly.  I do this with an Airport Express that connects wirelessly to my Airport Extreme as I have a massive masonry chimney in the middle of my house that makes getting a signal in the front of the house tough (the Extreme is in the back).

As to positioning, I would put them nominally as far apart as possible but such that the "outbound side" of their WiFi signal covers the ends of the house (i.e. don't put them on the outer wall of both ends of the house).

I cannot speak how either of your three options with work relative to each other.  The only thing that I can see is that I believe a Linksys WRT54G won't support 802.11n.  Also, looking at the information for the Hawking is only 2.4 GHz while both the Asus router and the Apple routers will be dual band.  Having dual band support many not be an issue for you, however.

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for the good information.  It is probably better to go with Dual band products.  I probably will not use a repeater as I can hard line (Wired) into the second router or express. I like the tip on the location of the router.  

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for the good information.  It is probably better to go with Dual band products.  I probably will not use a repeater as I can hard line (Wired) into the second router or express. I like the tip on the location of the router.  

Hard wiring is the better option if you can do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users