Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MKV streaming to devices with subs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Falneth

Falneth

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

I would like to be able to use MKVMerge GUI to create hard subs in a file so that I can play animes using my “Serviio Media Server” software on my computer streaming to my xbox 360 or blu-ray player.

Using other software, I have not been successful. Is there a way to use MKVToolkit to do this? Or is there another program that will allow me to do what I would like?

I have used MkvMergeGUI to open the files and uncheck the tracks I do not want (like Japanese subs that are for conversations but I keep the japanese subs for signs and signs, etc). I also will flag some tracks as the Default tracks (if Japanese subs are the default and I uncheck them, I then select the English subs and change the flag on it to Default). I then will remux the anime thereby recreating the anime with the settings and tracks I wish. However, because I use a media server on my computer to stream to my xbox 360 or Blu-Ray player over my wired network (computer is in my office across the house from the tvs). I want to be able to get the subtitles to show up when I watch them on whichever device I am using at the time. However, because MKV is a CONTAINER for multiple audio and subtitle tracks, the devices I am streaming to are unable to recognize the subtitles. I have been forced to convert the MKV files to AVI files and hardsubbing the subtitles onto the video so I am able to view the subtitles on other devices.

The downside to doing this is the MKV files I have after remuxing them are much smaller than the converted AVI files (90 MB -> 200 MB / file for example). I have also set the FORCED TRACK flag on the subtitle tracks in MKVMergeGUI to "YES" so players are forced to play that subtitle track by default but this tactic has born no fruit when I stream them to other devices.

I use Combined Community Codec Pack's Media Player Home Classic Cinema to watch them on my computer but I would much rather watch them in my living room or bedroom by streaming them to either my Xbox 360 or Blu-Ray player.

If I have to convert videos, I use Any Video Converter by Ultimate Media Solutions. I do not have any problems using it in this manner if I have to. Also, when I do convert the videos, I always make sure I set it to the same frame rate and resolution as the original file. Occasionally I will be increasing the bit rate or I will lower the bit rate because I always try to use the same bit rate for every converted file but the original bit rate may be lower or higher than what I set it to be at.

Any ideas on how I can keep the small file size with the MKV files and being able to view the subtitles while streaming to other devices or will I have to convert the videos to AVI or another format and burn the subtitles to the video in order to do what I would like?

Edited by Falneth, 20 February 2013 - 08:23 PM.

A.A.S in Computer and Network Support from Crowder College

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 T1000

T1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Have you tried MakeMKV ? I don't know if it will help you but it seems like it can stream MKV..

1.) HP Pavilion DV 9230us, 17" Laptop, Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32-Bit , Intel Dual Core T5500 1.66 GHz , 100GB Dual HD, 200 GB Total HDD, 2 GB Ram DDR2, WD 1TB external HDD, My Book Essential.

2.) Dell Inspiron 1764 17" Laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, Intel Dual Core i5 2.53 GHz w/Turbo Boost Technology, (3MB cache) Media Graphics Accelerator, 500 GB HDD, 4 GB Ram DDR3, Western Digital 1TB external HDD, My Book Essential.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

As far as I'm aware Windows won't stream MKV files.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#4 Falneth

Falneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

As far as I'm aware Windows won't stream MKV files.

I am fully aware that Windows will not stream MKV files but Media Server Software should be able to do what I would like. I have just installed the PS3 Media Server and looked at the configuration of it and it is "supposedly" able to send the forced subtitle tracks to the device it is streaming to. However, the documentation for this software is very vague on how to configure it. Some of the configuration asks for 'Options' and switches but I cannot find what the options and switch commands are.

I have been comparing an ORIGINAL mkv video with one I converted. The original video was in 1280 x 720 resolution with H.264 video codec at 23.98 fps with an OVERALL bitrate of 663 Kbps. When I converted it and hard-subbed the subtitles onto the video track, I use the option for the original resolution and set the convertor to automatically use the same fps but at a bit rate of 512 Kbps. When comparing the original to the converted one, the video is not in 16:9 aspect resolution like it was and the picture is much more blurry. Also, this video went from 112 MB to 150 MB. Any ideas why this came to be?

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

What converter do you use?

I convert a lot of mkv files into avi (especially when I need to hardcode subs).

The quality is just fine and avi file is usually smaller.

I use Any DVD Converter Pro or Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 Falneth

Falneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

What converter do you use?

I use Any Video Convertor. Depending on the videos, I might use version 3.5.8 or 5.0.2 (both of which i have installed on my computer). I have tried both versions and the conversion does not give nearly as good quality as the original and is a larger file size even though I try to use a lower bit rate.

I have tried others but have not had nearly as good success due to only being able to get a few minutes of the video converted instead of the entire video or watermarks placed on the video which I do not want.

#7 Falneth

Falneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

Just so anyone who reads this knows, the latest updates to the Serviio Media Server software are directed at providing subtitle streaming. I have discovered that once I set it to play eng langauge coded subtitles and as long as the subtitle tracks have the eng language code, they show up on my 360 (which should not play soft coded subs by design) and on my bluray player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users