Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI MoneyPak virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ellectic

Ellectic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

I've had this virus before, and was able to get rid of it with a system restore and then do various scans.

However, this time, it deleted all of my restore points and won't let me into safe mode. 

It tells me that "all activities of this computer has been recorded. All your files are encrypted. Don't try to unlock your computer!" And then a bunch of stuff about how I have violated copyright laws, and to get rid of this message, I need to buy a moneypak giftcard worth $300 and input the code in the next 72 hours or they'll file charges against me. 

When I log in it immediately goes to this page, and if I go into safe mode [with networking or the command prompt, too] it starts to log on, and then reboots. I got to my system restore through the "Repair your computer" thing, and it said I had no restore points. 

The startup repair detects nothing wrong, either.

My other options are:

-System image recovery

-Windows memory diagnostic

-Command prompt

-Dell DataSafe restore and emergency backup

Ctrl+Alt+Dlt works, when I'm logged on as usual, but if I try to open the task manager or anything it just goes to the FBI screen.

Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Welcome aboard

Disconnect computer from the internet by disconnecting ethernet cable or turning off wireless connection.

See if you can start in normal or safe mode.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Ellectic

Ellectic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Welcome aboard p22002758.gif

Disconnect computer from the internet by disconnecting ethernet cable or turning off wireless connection.

See if you can start in normal or safe mode.

Thanks! How do I do that? I'm on a laptop, so no cables. And I can't find a switch or anything ANYWHERE. It's a Dell XPS 15, if that helps?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

According to this manual: http://www.manualowl.com/m/Dell/XPS-15z/Manual/211134?page=15

p22002995.gif

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users