Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Internet logs, please help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 neko3000

neko3000

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Hi, I've noticed a notable amount of dos attacks in my router logs, somewhere on average of 3-5 per hour, sometimes more sometimes less. Sometimes from the same ip, sometimes it varies. The logs also show intermittent disconnects too. This is happening often when no device is connected to the router or online so its not an online gaming issue or anything like that. I can post a selection of typical activity here but I'm not sure what I can give out securely. I realise this is patchy info to respond to and I apologise for that but don't quite know what else to add.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Having incoming traffic on your router is normal even when nothing is connected is normal. . . it's the nature of the Internet. Unless it is the same IP over and over again over an extended period of time, or the volume of traffic is interfering with your connectivity, I would not worry about it.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 neko3000

neko3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

OK, thanks for the advice. So a high level of dos attacks can be ignored? I've been hit by the same ip as much as 15 times in 30 minutes before. Just looking for reassurance I guess. Is there anything I should be doing to tighten up router security? Thanks one again for the help.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

So a high level of dos attacks can be ignored?

I've been hit by the same ip as much as 15 times in 30 minutes before.

This isn't a DOS attack. For a DOS attack. . . think a minimum of 120 times what you're describing. And even that doesn't compare to any serious DOS attack. This is just background Internet noise that you're seeing.

As for anything you should be doing. . . make sure that your router does not have the default administrative username or password set for it. That's the big one.

Hope that helps.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 neko3000

neko3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

OK, thanks once again for the help. Its very much appreciated.

#6 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Not a problem. :)

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users