Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes - have to hard reboot, help!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 hirosaka

hirosaka

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Hey guys, new here & after hours of tedious browsing I figured I'd come ask for help.

I've recently built a mid-range system & game wise it's great, but I've been having the same issue.

Intel Core i7 920 2.66ghz

6gb patriot g series 1600mhz ram 9-9-9-24

320gb 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda sata HDD

HIS Radeon HD6850 IceQ x Turbo

Corsair H50 Hydro series

The issue I'm having is that sometimes, during a youtube video, an online streamed video, photo-editing or even browsing pictures in My Pictures, everything suddenly freezes, I can't move the mouse, keyboard, the screen remains frozen on whatever it was on at that time, and even after waiting it doesn't come back to life and I have to reboot.. On the rare occasion it comes back to life, it does so with a 'beep'

I've tried re-formatting completely, to no avail. I've ran a disk check, an SFC in DoS, several memtests, defragging and I've purchased a new PSU, updated my bios, chipset, and all other drivers but I just can't get it to stop.. I am at a complete loss. All of these tests provided positive results, no errors. I've monitored my temps and my GPU idle at 34 with a high end of 62 when fully gaming, and my CPU idles at 37 and never goes past 60 when fully gaming, does anyone have any idea at all? The only ones I have remaining are that the Hard Drive is on the way out, but it doesn't make sense because the disk check reports zero errors. I've tried checking event log for errors but I don't understand half of the error codes and on googling them they're apparently common and not a problem. :S Thanks in advance!

P.S) I've also reset the CMOS, returned BIOS to defaults ect.

Edited by hamluis, 22 February 2013 - 09:37 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

Hi Hirosaka and welcome to BCsmile.png

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#3 hirosaka

hirosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

Hi, thanks for the response. I've taken the screenshot as you advised here's the unique link.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oUfddW5xRXQDCexQI7ehrpy

Upon further self inspection, I found that perhaps the latest version of flash player was causing the freezing, so I back-dated it to version 10.3. So far there hasn't been any freezes, but it hasn't been long enough for certainty yet, and this 10.3 version spits up a window with script errors all the time.

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

MAXTOR STM3320613AS ATA Device
01 Read Error Rate: 114 (099 worst) Data 00041B3E69
05 Reallocated Sectors Count: 100 (100) Data 0000000003
07 Seek Error Rate: 085 (060) Data 00156D6E45
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered: 057 (038) Data 00041B3E69

Dude that hard drive is ancient and if I'm reading it correctly these aren't the greatest -- it seems like your computer is having problems reading the hard drive.

example from my computer: the data numbers should be 0 - and reallocated sectors are usually the begginging of a drive going bad.
WDC WD10EACS-00D6B0
01 Read Error Rate: 200 (200 worst) Data 0000000000
05 Reallocated Sectors Count: 200 (200) Data 0000000000
07 Seek Error Rate: 100 (253) Data 0000000000

Edited by AngryRaisin, 22 February 2013 - 12:48 AM.

#5 hirosaka

hirosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

I was hoping it wasn't the hard drive, but figured the related 'beep' was to do with it stalling. Even though my PC is only mid-range, it still set me back a couple of hundred so I can't currently afford a new HDD :( I guess I'll just have to back up important files, and wait for the inevitable day where the PC crashes & then try to buy an SSD or 1tb Sata HDD.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

After backing up your files, run a complete short and long test of the HD (maxtor) http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 to cross reference with the SMART readings report.

Tekken

#7 hirosaka

hirosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Maybe I'm blind but the Maxtor section doesn't seem to offer any working testing programs.. The only one which seems legitimate says it's for use on HDD's greater or equal to 500gb and mine's like 300. Also, when I did download it, it asked me to make a diskette? I don't have a floppy drive. :S Either way, I have purchased this:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-7200RPM-Cache-SATA3-Drive/dp/B004KRLWBK/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1361566000&sr=1-5

Hopefully it's an improvement on the current HDD.

#8 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

You're not blind - Maxtor hasn't been in the game for awhile now - their tools don't apply anymore - As Jhayz said after backing up your files proceed to testing - testing a failing drive may be a good way to get it to fail completely.

These tools will generally work, they are just super temperamental on newer computers - like dell and hp laptops where there are no sata options I can never get them to work. It will require you to download an iso, burn it to disk, and boot from that disc

Drive Fitnes Test - it's pretty old school - it is dos based - and usually have to set your bios sata mode to ide/compatibily mode
https://www1.hgst.com/hdd/support/downloads/ftool_215.iso

or Seatools for DOS
http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

The Western Digital diagnostics for windows or Seatools for windows might work out for you as well.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 23 February 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

FWIW:  Seagate acquired Maxtor, so the Seagate tools would be the ones to use.

Louis

#10 hirosaka

hirosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

I now don't know whether to be or not to be frustrated. I downloaded the Seagate tools & ran it from a bootable .iso. All three tests PASSED. Acoustic, Short & Long..

Part of me wished the test proved failure, so I could identify the issue - but now I wonder what on Earth could be causing my issues?

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

The hard drive test for reallocated sector count (In your case which shows only 3) has tolerance and could mean that it will PASS the test. When this numbers for RSC (requires frequent monitoring) increases, the drive is due for replacement as higher reallocation means the drive will use the fix spare sectors that is designed for the HD. When there is no other location to relocate the bad sector,  it will normally have some random read/write problems which are typical for system lags or hiccups. First thing to have is a constant backup of your files. I would presume with the test results of the drive means that it is still very usable as the cross testing from the manufacturing test did clear this HD problem. The only other thing I could see from the programs installed is a virtual emulation software. IME, this has affected me once on some freezing problem when this software was installed on my computer. There could also be a possibility that a RAM stick is faulty. Use one stick of RAM and use memtest to check for errors.

Tekken

#12 hirosaka

hirosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

I tested the ram sticks for 6 - 8 hours with memtest (don't like leaving computer on overnight) and there was 0 errors. I know the recommendating is 24 hours+. I've ordered a new HDD as I linked above, and plan to completely reformat the entire system, Dismantling and re-doing every piece from case wiring, to motherboard/cmos reset, re-thermal pasting GPU/CPU and doing a fresh install - then I will install windows updates in small clusters to make sure it isn't some random conflict with one of the windows updates. Thanks for all the help so far, I usually figure issues out myself by research but there's so many mitigating circumstances it's out of my league.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

Have you tried removing the virtual software installed also? You can also backup the documents/files and do a clean install with the same hard drive while waiting for the replacement drive if your up to the task. But I would try removing the virtual emulation software first.

Edited by jhayz, 25 February 2013 - 01:25 AM.

Tekken

#14 hirosaka

hirosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Yes, I've reformatted three times - the virtual software is just Daemon Tools lite - to run .iso files, something I've always used and something that wasn't installed the first two times I experienced the error. The hard drive has just arrived, so I am going reformat - rebuild now. Wish me luck!

#15 hirosaka

hirosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Okay, I've reformatted, re-seated, re-pasted everything, in the process of updating - so far so good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users