Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Boots

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 8-bit

8-bit

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:04 AM

I've had to resurrect my old pc but it seems to behave strangley when I boot up. Its gets to the Win 98 title screen, goes blank, back to the title screen, blank again and then reboots. I then get the option about SAFE BOOTING cos WINDOWS failed to load last time. I safe boot and then simply RESTART my pc through the START menu and it loads fine(??).

Could it be my hard drive? I have run SCANDISK and its found no errors.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:41 AM

Boot to the F8 and the Command Line Only (Safe Mode) and at the C:\ type sfc//scannow.
It sounds like some of your file may be corrupted.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

I went into the COMMAND PROMPT but when I typed the command you mention it just kept coming but as bad command. I ran SCANDISK and it checked everything even the disks surface but it came back with no errors.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:13 AM

I apolygize. I mistyped the command. sfc /scannow Make sure there is a space between sfc and /scannow.

#5 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

lol No problem. I'll try again.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:17 PM

To the best of my knowledge, that doesn't work in 98. You have to go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Info -> Tools tab -> System File Checker.

Or, conversely, you can go to Start -> Run and type:
sfc
and hit enter. There is no scannow switch. And neither sfc nor scannow works from the command line. (Not on mine, anyway.)

To make matters worse, it only scans for original system files, and if you've done updates, it finds those files and asks what you want to do with them. This was new to Windows 98 and not yet well-developed.

And to . . . well, you know, make it worse still, it's a good idea to back up files before replacing them.

When I run sfc in Win 98, I go nearly insane trying to figure out if the files it's showing are legitimate or not. It will find files that have been deleted, but with all the updating, it shows every file that's been changed as well, unless you click on the "settings" box and uncheck the "check for changed files" choice.

#7 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:21 PM

Yeah sorry Acklan, it does'nt work. I did manage to run what I think was CHKDSK and it did'nt find any errors but I'll check with the info your've given me Herk and see what it comes up with, thanks.

#8 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:26 PM

I managed to run it but it did'nt really come back with much. It made a few changes so I'll see how my system acts now.

#9 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:49 PM

Fraid nothing has changed. My other system started acting strange once, it would'nt turn off but instead just kept restarting. That was due to an installed piece of hardware that my system did'nt seem to agree with so maybe its the same with this problem. The problem is Ive had to dig up my very ooooold pc and theres hardly anything installed onto it. Still its worth and an investiagation. ;)

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:56 PM

Herk is right. It does not work from the command line in '9x.

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:14 PM

You could be getting memory errors. Or malware could be interfering with the operating system. Have you defragged in recent memory? That can make a difference in things - those files can get pretty scattered.

#12 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:27 AM

My pc is veeerry old. Its about 10 years old and the hard drive is about the same so maybe its just its age showing. I only recently formatted it and installed win 98 so there should'nt be anything nasty on it yet.
Actually after removing my soundcard the restarting thing stopped although sometimes it refuses to turn off so at least its a start.

Thanks for all your help. :thumbsup:

#13 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:33 PM

Actually I'll take that all back. Sometimes it takes 2 or three boots to load Win 98 properly and this can only be down to the age of the drive, can't it??

#14 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:01 PM

The estimated life of a home user hard drive is about three years. These days, they do seem to last longer depending on usage, but the older drives weren't that dependable. Chances are, when the drive starts up cold it isn't working well, but works better after it warms up. Once, I couldn't get a hard drive to boot and I wanted to get the data off of it, so I opened the drive and when I was ready to get data I gave it a manual spin to get it going. Kids, don't try this at home. It's drive suicide to open one up without a clean room. However, that one time, it actually worked.

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:58 PM

If you would not mind, list the specs of your computer. CPU, RAM, HD size, brand,..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users