Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 antazn99

antazn99

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:55 AM

hey guys, im not sure if im in the right area for this problem but here goes. My friend computer has someting wrong with it, when he turns on his power supply the computer starts by itsels and restarts 3-4 times before actually loading windows. also his internet will not work unless his changes his date and bios. and regardless of the changes, his computer still restarts by its self when he shuts down. thusly his computre can never turn off. I appreciate any help and if im in the wrong forum, id appreciate it if you point me in the forum

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:51 AM

The timer issue is probabily a bad motherboard (BIOS) battery. Depending on the options on the motherboard, such and a timer to turn on the computer, that could be related to the issue.
Corporate computers have a, motherboard feature, a timer that allows the computer to start at a certian time of day.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:07 PM

it sounds like the power management feature in the bios for the on off issues, but like acklan said, you sound like you could use a cmos battery.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 antazn99

antazn99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:36 AM

thanks guys, my friend is getting his motherboard battery checked soon

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:48 AM

I would not pay someone to do this. That will run you $35 to $75 to replace a $4 battery. You should clean the inside of your computer while you are at it.
Cleaning the Interior of your PC

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:26 PM

In addition to cleaning the computer as acklan suggested, go to the control panel/power options and set the scroll bar for "minimal power management".

#7 antazn99

antazn99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:47 PM

thanks guys, my friend is out right now buying a new motherboards battery, ill be sure to tell him what you guys said, ill try to report back on how it work

#8 antazn99

antazn99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:56 PM

thanks guys, my friends computer is working fine. it actually shuts down now. sorry for taking so long to reply

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

What did he/she do to fix it?

#10 antazn99

antazn99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:16 PM

sorry for not specifying, he put in the new motherboard battery and changed the time on this computer to the correct time. it managed to shut down the first time around but on the second time around, it just restarted again. any idea on what else could be the problem?

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:47 AM

Among the several reasons for restarting, it could be bad memory, power supply failing, loose connections on the computer's plug-in, bad video card drivers, etc. Use Memtest 86 or MS memtest to check for bad memory. Check your power connections.

Go to the System Properties by using Windows Key + Pause/Break key. Click on the Advanced tab. Go down to the Startup and Recovery and click "Settings."

Uncheck the "Automatically Restart" choice. Now you might be able to see an error message to help solve the problem. Post that back here if nothing else works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users