Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to Install Ubunti 12.10 ,delete Windows,and Windows wont let me.HELP ASAP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 triplediomonds

triplediomonds

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

I Have a Dell DIM 3000 Windows XP, I Bought my Computer in 2005, there are thousands of Files from 2000-2004 that our not mine. I bought by Computer new, What can i do to delete Windows Files? and save my hard drive from failure, Windows watches me like a Halk, wont let me download from Dell and other sights if i delete something or configure my security Suite it changes it back, I dont even feel like this is my Computer, even though i have Administrator rights. I want to delete Windows and install Ubunti 12.10, when i downloaded  Ubunti 12.10 to a file and was directed by Ubunti to download the CD Burner So i could make a Ubunti 12.10 install disk Windows wouldnt open the CD Burner file,So now i'm stuck on what to do . If i can install Ubunti 12.10 they will erase Windows from my harddrive. I need HELP, doing this before my harddrive is damaged.I have a Disability and i dont know how to do many things as far as repairs on my Computer, I have not enjoyed my Computer in Years, Windows has so many problems and no Solutions on how to fix them. I dont think Mr fix-it could change a light bulb! Someone Please Help Me I want To Be Able To enjoy My Computer,and not feel like someone is watching my every move. i'm not deluisional. Thank You. triplediomonds

Edited by hamluis, 21 February 2013 - 06:47 AM.
Moved from XP to Linux - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AbsoZed

AbsoZed

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:13 AM

Alrighty, let's start from here: You're looking for Ubuntu. You'll find it here: http://www.ubuntu.com

1. Download the 12.10 ISO

2. Getcha a blank CD.

3. If you don't have ImgBurn, I suggest downloading it.

4. Open ImgBurn. Click "Write Image File to CD".

5. Click the small file bar at the top, and browse to the .ISO file, and click open.

7. Insert the CD, close the tray.

8. Click "Burn".

9. Once it's burned, leave the CD in the tray and turn off the computer.

10. This part varies from computer to computer. Press a key like F2, or F12 until you get into a menu called "BIOS"

11. Go to the "Boot" section.

12. Follow the BIOS instructions to make the CD drive your first boot device.

13. Press F10, saving changes and restarting.

14. Ubuntu should load from the CD. The rest should be explained to you from there.

I'm assuming this is what you want, so be warned: THIS WILL ERASE WINDOWS XP FROM YOUR HARD DRIVE.

#3 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

.... and remember to back up all your important docs, pics, vids etc etc to external media beforehand or they'll get erased too!

Edited by 1002 Richard S, 24 February 2013 - 03:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users