Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BLANK DESKTOP ICONS (not gone, just blank)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ANUAS

ANUAS

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

HELLO.

SO to make it short, I have:

Blank desktop icons, generic blank, not hidden, they are there but blank with no drawing icon showing. I tried to restore a couple of them manually right click, prop, open containg forlder, press F5, change icon but not changin anything just looking, apply, icon's back.

A mysterious "MBR read error" on ESET NOD32 4.

Computer is an old Acer lap but I don't recall having this message in the past when things were ok, I am not using any recovery extra software. This looks suspicious to me, what do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

What is your operating system?

#3 ANUAS

ANUAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Win Vista

Also update, I couldn't wait, so I just run aswMBR and it spotted a file:  " KBDIINDEV:DLL ", later in the scan proccess it froze and windows poped to say "not responding please close this". So I did, reboot pc, and tried to reach manually the file, which  I was about to but ESET NOD poped up (Win32/Bhottle.A) and quarantined when I just found it.

EDIT:

ALL SYMPTOMS STILL THERE. Desktop icons and MBR error read by NOD.

Edited by ANUAS, 19 February 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

Download

http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnkfix_vista.zip

Extract and launch the registry file,click YES

Restart the PC and let me know if that restores the icons.

#5 ANUAS

ANUAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

NOTHING CHANGED, ALL SYMPTOMS STILL THERE. Desktop icons and MBR error read by NOD.

Plus more subtle symptoms. Is it normal that while in Safe Mode, do a RAM and MBR scan in ESET NOD and then lost the NOTEPAD functionality??... every time I double click a TXT file shows up a msg like "this was marked for deletion after you restart" or something even like that.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

NOTHING CHANGED, ALL SYMPTOMS STILL THERE. Desktop icons and MBR error read by NOD.

Are you saying that this happened after NOD32 scan? Please give us more details.When did this issue start? I do not want you to run any other tool when you are being assisted.

Restart the PC

Press F8 on bootup

Select REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER

Click on REPAIR

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

Can you get to this screen?

If yes, select system restore and try restoring to previous point and let me know if you can access desktop icons now.

#7 ANUAS

ANUAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

HELLO.

Desktop icons blanking happened first, I then scaned with NOD and the MBR error appears.

What happens after I scan with NOD is when I start in SAFE MODE, do a RAM and MBR scan, wait for the scan to finish, then I can't open any txt file with a double click... apparently the Notepad.exe is screwed.

I can't replicate this behaviour in a Normal reboot.

Sorry, no restore points.

Edited by ANUAS, 20 February 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Go to

C:\program files

Are you able to find the installation folders of those blank icons ?

Edited by narenxp, 20 February 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#9 ANUAS

ANUAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Go to

C:\program files

Are you able to find the installation folders of those blank icons ?

Original executables files icons are ok if you mean by that. In the first post I tried to explain what I do to recover a blank icon.

So I can manually restore the icons but this not normal as everything in the .Ink files seems to be linked ok so there's no reason why the icon is blank.

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

What happened when your launched the registry key? Did you get any errors?

#11 ANUAS

ANUAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

What happened when your launched the registry key? Did you get any errors?

Nope. No errors with reg key adding.

#12 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

Create a new user account.Does that resolve the blank icons issue?

#13 ANUAS

ANUAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Create a new user account.Does that resolve the blank icons issue?

No. Also I have UAC disabled.

#14 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

• Please download TDSSKiller from here and save it to your Desktop
  • Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters

• Check Loaded Modules  and Detect TDLFS file systemDo not check Verify file digital signatures (even though it is checked in the example)
  • If you are asked to reboot because an "Extended Monitoring Driver is required" please click Reboot now

• Click Start Scan and allow the scan process to run

• If threats are detected select Skip for all of them unless I instruct you otherwise
  • Click Continue

• Click Reboot computer
  • Please post the contents of  TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt found in your root directory (typically c:\)in your reply

===================================================

aswMBR

--------------------

• Download aswMBR and save it to your desktop.
  • Please disable your real time protection of any Antivirus, Antispyware or Antimalware programs temporarily. They will interfere and may cause unexpected results.
  • If you need help to disable your protection programs see here and here.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe file to run it. Please allow when you are asked to download AVAST antivirus engine defs.
  • Wait until the AV update is done, then click on the Scan button to start. The program will launch a scan.

• When done, you will see Scan finished successfully. Please click on Save log and save the file to your desktop.

• Please post the contents of the log in your next reply.

NOTE:  aswMBR will create MBR.dat file on your desktop. This is a copy of your MBR. Do NOT delete it.

ESET Online Scanner

--------------------

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan  This process may may take several hours, that is normal

• Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the   button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)

• Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the icon on your desktop.

• Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:

• Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Copy and paste the information in your next reply.   Note:  If no malware was found you will not get a log.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

Malwarebytes

--------------------

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.  If you already have it installed launch the program and update the database.

• Important!! When you save the mbam-setup file, rename it to something random (such as 123abc.exe) before beginning the download.  You can also right click on the link and select Save Link As

Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet and double-click on the renamed file to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to this Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings except to uncheck any offer for a free Pro trial version
  • Malwarebytes will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • Under the Scanner tab, make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • When finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box, then click the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked and then click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.

Note: If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

#15 ANUAS

ANUAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

HELLO. Sorry for the delay. I'm not getting access to the internet for several hours.

Something weird happened. Please read carefully.

Yesterday I downloaded TDSSKiller as you told me, changed settings as indicated and the program asks for a reebot, I click OK. But then I had to go AFK for a couple of hours. So I thought the program would launch the scan by itself after restart (like a boot scheduled defrag) and leave.

When I came back (after 3 or 4 hours, not sure) I found the PC on a confirmation message, it didn't had scaned anything and apparently didn't completely restart yet. I clicked OK and the scan finally starts.

I went AFK again for 10 mins this time. When I came back TDSS is done. I didn't do anything like indicated aswell (as in NOT clicking any "clean" or "fix" button), closed the program and, for my surprise, ALL DESKTOP ICONS are ok now.

I thought "What the hell?", and checked for a RAM and MBR in NOD... it says MBR is ok now.

I dunno what happened as I didn't fix anything on the scan. The only odd thing I did was leaving the scan reebot "about to start" on like for 3 or 4 hours.

However today I tried TDSS again and aswMBR.

I disabled NOD after running aswMBR. I also manually disabled IObit Malware Fighter. You should have to add this to your "how to disable" list. (once instaled IObit MF loads a process I teminate in the usual CTRL+ALT+DEL way).

As I posted earlier, aswMBR crashed again in some point in the late file scan process. I don't see any log files by aswMBR, but I spoted an "unknown MBR code" line before it crashed.

I'm posting the last scan log for TDSSKiller. I did the most stupid thing and I deleted the last night log today (the "about to start" odd reebot).

Altough main symptoms are gone I'm still suspicious about something remains there.

Edited by ANUAS, 21 February 2013 - 09:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users