Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jbc222

jbc222

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Running XP on Dell desktop. Now when I boot up, the wallpaper appears, but there are no icons or task bar. Booting in safe mode brings up the icons. I can start the browser and other services through the task manager, but this is very slow work. For the last few months, the complete desktop has been slow to appear, but now will not appear at all.

Yesterday, I working through the task manager and suddenly the normal desktop appeared. However, I had to restart to install Windows updates, and now am back to the problem. I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

May relate to damaged profile...I would create a new user profile, transfer files and settings...see if same results occur.

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

#3 jbc222

jbc222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

I don't have a task bar and start button visible.  Is there some way to get to the right place to follow the instructions from Microsoft?

Jim

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

You can do it from safe mode. Try safe mode with networking if you will be referring to the instructions during the process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users