Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad PCIe slot or bad GPU?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wizardsmagic007

wizardsmagic007

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

I bought a refurbished MSI GTX 470 and I put it in the top PCIe x16 slot. It was working until I installed the drivers. I kept getting a message that the display drivers have stopped working. I opened up firefox and the whole computer would shut off. So I uninstalled the drivers completely, and tried other ones. It kept doing the same thing, eventually until the monitor would lose signal right before windows booted. Then I bought a new power supply and the problem remained. So I was getting ready to send the thing back for a refund until I decided to try it in the PCIe x8 slot. Sure enough it worked in that slot. Could it be possible that my PCIe x16 slot is broke? Even though the 7800GTX I have works fine in it which makes me even more confused!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

What is the make and model of the PSU you purchased?

What is the make and model of this computer?

If it is a custom build, what is the make and model of the motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 wizardsmagic007

wizardsmagic007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

The computer was custom built.

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630w Power Supply

ASUS M5A97 rev 1.xx Bios 0901 Motherboard 

If more info is needed.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/DIBKFpYtV4up4FtLvsOvKOR

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Thank you for the information.  I'm going to have my computer off for a while, it's snowing big wet flakes which usually will bring down tree limbs, and this usually just happens to be over the power lines.  I have a desktop and no UPS, so please bear with me.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 wizardsmagic007

wizardsmagic007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Thank you for your time, I have all the patience in the world. Hope the weather doesn't get too bad for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users