Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

accessing old computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 10 Beers

10 Beers

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

My sister gave me and old HP Pavilion w/ WIN 98 (NOT 98SE) preinstalled, no installation disk supplied.  It has a 60 MB Hd and 64 MB of RAM. I have XP Pro on my machine. The 98 dinosaur was top of the line in it's day and still works great. The problem - I can't load anything on it. It has a dial-up internet connection and I don't have dial-up, I've got cable; The 3 1/2" floppys aren't compatable between it and my XP and the flash drives I tried need a driver which I can't load. I have a PCI Ehternet card I tried to use but I couldn't load the g*****n driver. Can I use a parallel cable plugged into both to transfer data to the 98 machine or am I S.O.L.? Oh, yeah, I tried a Linksys WMP54g  wirless card hoping to get on the internet to download stuff but that was a NoGo. I don't need to get on the internet, I want to load some programs so I can use it for some sort of media machine. Any ideas besides a ballpeen massage?

Edited by 10 Beers, 19 February 2013 - 04:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tremmor

tremmor

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I know two people also. Won't change, never. Ya won't convince them either.

One is 98SE and belive it not 95 OSR2. Oh well.

#3 10 Beers

10 Beers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Die hards or Luddites? Diehard Luddites?

I've sitll a system with DOS 6  and Win 3.1, but I don't mess with it much. 

The 98 computer runs just fine for what it was designed for and there's nothing wrong with it - except it's outdated by a decade or so. Kinda like my '78 Dodge D100 pickup; It works just fine but it's increasingly harder to find parts for. I found several web sites for to download programs that will work but my problem is accessing the >BLEEPING< thing. Nothing I've tried works and I'm too stubborn for my own sanity. Maybe reinstalling 98 but I don't see how that would help me get around that Catch 22 where I need drivers to install stuff but I can't install the drivers.  What if...I  hooked stuff up when I reinstall? Would that force 98 to install drivers? Hmmm... or found somebody with dial-up that I can talk into letting me futz around and download seversl things. I realize this isn't a priority issue as it's just something I'm being persnickity over, but Any Help At All is deeply appreciated. Any comments, too.  

#4 10 Beers

10 Beers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

SOLVED!

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Maybe reinstalling 98 but I don't see how that would help me get around that Catch 22 where I need drivers to install stuff but I can't install the drivers.  What if...I  hooked stuff up when I reinstall? Would that force 98 to install drivers?

You going to have to take the case off and look for any manufacturer or part numbers on the graphics card and sound card there should be plenty of drivers on the web. Driver Genius and Driver Reviver are good they don't work on Win98. You could try Belarc Advisor that should show the system spec with names then you could Google for drivers.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#6 lti

lti

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

You can get USB mass storage drivers for Windows 98. I don't remember where I got them, but they are installed on my computer running 98.

#7 Guest_G4JC_*

Guest_G4JC_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Just throwing this out there, if you have broadband and only have dial-up - you can rig your broadband PC to share it's connection over dial-up. This is pretty much what the old Sega Dreamcast users used to do, google for "PC-DC server": http://www.maturion.de/dreamcast/mterlouw/

#8 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Just an FYI, next time you want to transfer data between computer and you can not network them you can try using an IDE/SATA to USB adaptor, they have them available at Wal-Mart like the one => HERE <=

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#9 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

SOLVED!

Good im glad ya got it figured out buddy!!

Win98/98se is quite a fine OS -- Treat her well smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users