Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Sidewiki - can't remove it from IE 8 context menu

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 innkeeper9

innkeeper9

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

Hi,

It seems Adobe Flash update installed Chrome and some google toolbar. I used add remove programs to remove them, but now  IE 8 has this little item in the context menu 'Google Sidewiki' which I cannot remove since when I go to manage add-ons there is no Google Toolbar. How the heck do I get rid of that now, or am I just stuck with always seeing the [google now owns the internet] google sidewiki thing. I am NOT a google fan, and am getting fast to be not a fan of any of these updates that are including something else for whatever reason. I get it that this is 'my' fault for not noticing in the big Adobe update window with the 'pretty' shiny BIG update button that there was something else beside the update, if they even had a notification, but I sure would appreciate help getting rid of the stupid thing.

Thanks for any help smile.png

Ruth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

Considering Sidewiki was withdrawn in December 2011, I would look on any recent installs with suspicion.  I'm sure it was Google's attempt to make money by selling opinions to corporations and site designers.  Why use telemarketers when you can get people to comment for free?  One method to remove Sidewiki was to reinstall the Google toolbar (big groan), uncheck the Sidewiki item in Options then uninstall the toolbar.

#3 innkeeper9

innkeeper9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Thank you, thank you. That's gone, but there are numerous google things in prefetch: update service, update on demand, search update service, toolbarinstaller, crashhandler, toolbarnotifier, toolbarmanager etc. and in Windows Tasks: GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore,GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA , those last two show a last used time today. There are two more but they are shown as disabled, which at some point I must have done dated back in 2011.  Can I just delete that stuff?

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

You can delete prefetch files.  Most of the time they are useful.  The ones you list may be part of Chrome/Google's normal operation so it may be pointless deleting them.  Is "Windows Tasks" referring to Scheduled Tasks?  You can find a list of services and what they do here .  Note that the ones you mentioned, one runs once a day, the other once an hour.

Personally, I disabled all Google Updates long ago.  I manually update when I feel like it.  I have no scheduled tasks - anything I want to schedule I do in other software.  I was slightly surprised when I just checked to find I don't even seem to have Google Update service.  Total success, or perhaps it's hiding. I occasionally use Chrome and Google Earth but I manually update when I use them.

Whether or not you defeat updates depends what sort of user you are.  If you don't bother to do any manual maintenance, then auto updates are prudent.  I use my PC as a VCR.  All those programs that say "..update will be done when computer is idle..." are talking nonsense.  I used to have recordings routinely ruined by that stuff.

Edited by Nanobyte, 19 February 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#5 innkeeper9

innkeeper9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Thanks :)   Well, since I do not have chrome and have got rid of the toolbar, I don't see any reason to have any of that stuff, but I will check that link you gave and thanks so much, again. Have a great day!

#6 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I edited my previous comment about the same time as you posted.  No wonder I couldn't get my changes to stick and had to re-enter.  Assumed topic is closed.

#7 innkeeper9

innkeeper9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Thanks, again. With your post I did get all the necessary information and I will be more careful when updating. I don't do auto update, I do allow notification that an upadate is available and then decide if that particular update is necessary. I'll be much more careful next time about just clicking the update button. And yes, with your so quick and thorough response this topic is closed :)  Thank  you!

Ruth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users