Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:33 PM
Of course, the best thing is to plug the computer into a Uninterruptible Power Supply because of the nice steady power, but the "power bar" should work fine. You said you had a lot of things plugged into it, and it depends upon what those things are. If you're running something like 1500 watt heaters, I'd be concerned. If you have a printer and speakers and so forth, those draw very little power and shouldn't affect it. It also matters if your computer has say, a 350 watt power supply as opposed to a 600 watt power supply. But in my shop, I plug more than one computer into a power bar at a time without any problems. Also, I don't know the quality of your power strip, but does the main wire exhibit any heat? Can you feel it warming up a little? Are the contacts in the strip burned at all? Get a heavy (at least 16 wire guage) extension cord, and plug it into a different circuit and see if the computer acts differently.