Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player Automatically Reboots

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wmpvexesme

wmpvexesme

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:34 PM

Hi there,

I've had this problem ever since I got my Compaq Presario S3300NX. Occasionally, during playback of movies on windows media player 10 (and 9), my computer will shutdown (as if the power cord has been pulled) and restart again. I have an NVidia graphics card if that helps any (if you need specifics, i'll need direction as to where to find them). I know for sure that I dont' have any viruses or spyware because I've just reformatted my hard drive.

As I said before, this occurs very infrequently, so its very difficult for me to know if the problem is fixed or not. However, recently (within the past month) its been happening more often (about 2 or 3 times a week).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the matter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:40 PM

The first things I would look for are heat problems and corrupted drivers.

First, make sure your fans are running and clear of dust, especially those in the power supply and the one on the processor. Overheating can cause shutdown problems like this (so can a bad power supply). Overheating can damage your processor as well.

Second:

Look in your device manager for any red or yellow warning icons in any of the devices listed, especially the graphics adapter.

#3 wmpvexesme

wmpvexesme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! Device Manager turned out just fine and it used to have dust until I opened it up about a month ago to install an expansion card and cleaned it out.

However, what you said about the power supply makes sense. I have many things pluged into the power bar and my computer is one of them. I know its optimal to have the computer plugged into the wall directly, but I just can't work it. This problem only happens when I play movies, but I suppose that's when the most power is required?

Thanks.

#4 wmpvexesme

wmpvexesme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:07 PM

So, just to make sure, the only explanation is that the computer can't be plugged into a power bar?

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:33 PM

Of course, the best thing is to plug the computer into a Uninterruptible Power Supply because of the nice steady power, but the "power bar" should work fine. You said you had a lot of things plugged into it, and it depends upon what those things are. If you're running something like 1500 watt heaters, I'd be concerned. If you have a printer and speakers and so forth, those draw very little power and shouldn't affect it. It also matters if your computer has say, a 350 watt power supply as opposed to a 600 watt power supply. But in my shop, I plug more than one computer into a power bar at a time without any problems. Also, I don't know the quality of your power strip, but does the main wire exhibit any heat? Can you feel it warming up a little? Are the contacts in the strip burned at all? Get a heavy (at least 16 wire guage) extension cord, and plug it into a different circuit and see if the computer acts differently.

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:48 PM

I think Enthusiast meant for you to check that the fan in the power supply is spinning and that there isn't accumutated dust in there. An overheated power supply can cause strange malfunctions.

You can check the power supply's voltages by running Everest Home (free). Expand the "Computer" section on the left pane by clicking the plus sign to the left and then click "Sensor". After a moment a list of info will appear in the right hand pane. Look for the voltage readouts for the +3.3V, +5V and +12V outputs. They should be in the following ranges:

+3.3: 3.135V to 3.465v
+5: 4.75V to 5.25V
+12: 11.4V to 12.6V

Also look at the Temperatures" section under "Sensor". The CPU temperature should be under 60 degrees C. While playing movies or games also keep Everest running and check it from time to time for the voltages and temperatures. Perhaps you will be able to diagnose a heat problem or a failing power supply.

#7 wmpvexesme

wmpvexesme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the advice. The power bar I'm using gives a 1875 watt power supply and I only have things like speakers, printer, desk lamp, clock etc. plugged in.

I downloaded the software you suggested and found no probelm with the voltage readouts, however, the temperature was constant at 68 degrees. I suppose this means that the fan isn't doing a great job, but how do I fix that? If it helps any, the cooling fan is running at 948 rpm and the chassis is running at 2033 rpm.

I just recently opened my computer up (about a month ago) and blew all of the dust away, but I wasn't sure how to get the dust out of the fan area. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users