Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup/current Version\run Missing Files

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 CHEFBIGFEET

CHEFBIGFEET

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:14 PM

HELP!!!! I have the following startup entries that pertain to programs which I have uninstalled but, which remain in the startup menu at msconfig and regedit. I have tried many different programs which manipulate entries on regedit and have tried disabiling each item but, they alway come back. the entries are all in the following Hky_Local_Machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run. the entries are as follows:

File Name: c:\Poigrams\microsoft antispyware\gcasServ.exe
Location: hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run file missing "gcasServ.exe"

File Name: c:\Progra - 1|Lexmar - 1\ACMonitor_X73.exe Location: same as first item but, file missing "ACMonitor_X73.exe"(registry key)

File Name: c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\W32X86|lexmarklexmark_X7328e0|printray.exe
Location: same as others but, file missing "printray.exe"(registry key)

File Name: c:\ProgramFiles\QuickTime\qttask.exe - atboottime
Location: same as others but, file missing "qttask.exe" (registry key)

File Name: Progra - 1\Symnet - 1|SNDMon.exe/Consumer
Location: same as the others but, file missing "SNDMon.exe" (registry key)

File Name: ProgramFiles\NortonSystemWorks\NortonGhost\Agent\GhostTray.exe
Location: same as the others but, file missing "GhostTray.exe" (registry key)

The Programs in question no longer exist on my computer but the CurrentVersion\run still keeps them in the startup. I went to Regedit in the CurrentVersion\run the files are not there to delete. I when to the run keys and deleted each of them but, as soon as I come back they are back again. Please help me find a way to get them out for good. Symantec Technician (Free) tried to eliminate them but, was unsuccessful.

(Moderator edit: slightly edited post and moved it to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 02 April 2006 - 12:30 AM.

It is said that, "A fool never learns, a good man learns from his experience, but, a wise man learns from the experience of others."

"No Man is an Island, each Man is a piece of the continent, do not ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." Martin Luther

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:29 AM

Download autoruns from sysinternals.com and run it. It will list all your startup entries. Look for the entries that correspond to the missing file ones above and uncheck them. Or to delete them, right click on them and select delete. Be sure not to do this to any other entries in case you remove something you need.

#3 CHEFBIGFEET

CHEFBIGFEET
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:30 PM

Last Night I downloaded "Autorun" and followed the instructions as noted and as per your reply. I deleted each of the files and also used "Find" to see if they were located any where else. After completing the task, I started the program again. They were back. "Pesky Little Devils" aren't they. I have now used Autorun, Absolute Startup, Msconfig, Regedit, Norton One Button Checkup, Pctools Register and had no more success than the Tech at Norton did at removing these items. I almost feel like Formatting the Disk and reinstalling Windows XP SP2. I also am in contact with Microsoft with an on going dialogue over remedies for this situation. They have had me do so many differnet tasks with no success. I hope as the "Guru" on this subject you can help me where others have failed. Thanking you in advance for you assistance and looking forward to your response. Regards, Chefbigfeet
It is said that, "A fool never learns, a good man learns from his experience, but, a wise man learns from the experience of others."

"No Man is an Island, each Man is a piece of the continent, do not ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." Martin Luther

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:35 PM

You could always try Uninstall Plus! It is a program that is available on a trial basis HERE. I use it regularly and like it. Not only will it start a specific program's uninstaller, but then it will search the registry for any traces of the deleted program.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:50 PM

If they are disabled in startup (no check in the box), even if they show up but not checked to be active, they aren't doing anything and I wouldn't take a chance at corrupting the registry to mess with them unless they are creating a problem.

If they keep coming back they are obviously being considered protected system files and I believe a reg edit to remove that protection would be required, but not a good idea to do as it would remove that protection from other protected files as well.

I don't know what ap Symnet - 1 is.

ProgramFiles\NortonSystemWorks\NortonGhost is self explanatory
Have you removed Norton Ghost?

Do the programs that use them still show up in add/remove programs in the control panel?

For instance, gcasServ.exe is a remnant and probably an orphaned dll from Microsoft Antispyware beta which was replaced by Windows Defender...

lexmarklexmark_X7328e0|printray.exe - from a Lexmark printer -
Did you remove the printer using "delete" in the printers and faxes section (start/settings/printers and faxes)

If it really bothers you, see if this tutorial will accomplish what you want to do:

How to Manually Remove Programs from the Add/Remove Programs List

Table of Contents

1. Introduction
2. Removing entries in the Add/Remove Programs List
3. Conclusion

Introduction

Lets admit it, we have all at one time or another mistakenly deleted a directory or uninstalled a program incorrectly and are now left with entries in the Add/Remove Programs list for programs that no longer exist on our hard drives. When you click on these entries to remove them, Windows complains with an error or nothing happens. For some of the neat freaks out there, this can cause a problem as we now have useless entries cluttering up our Add/Remove Programs list and no way to remove them!

That's not true, though. There are ways to remove these entries from our computer so that our Add/Remove Programs list looks clean and spotless. In this tutorial we will cover a method on removing entries for programs that no longer exist on your computer. This method does require editing the registry, which if done improperly, can cause problems with your computer. If this is something that you do not feel comfortable doing, then please do not continue with the steps listed here. You are always welcome to ask us in the forums for any help with this.

The rest is here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/manually-remove-programs-from-add-remove-programs/

Edited by Enthusiast, 02 April 2006 - 12:56 PM.

#6 CHEFBIGFEET

CHEFBIGFEET
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:07 PM

Thanks to All for your imput. None of the programs appear in the add or remove program but, when I used
Autorun, to delete entries, I ended up with duplicates of three of the entries. I tried to delete one and uncheck the other but, get error message that entry is already unchecked. Symnet -1 is a Driver for Norton Ghost. I will try other suggestions noted in replies. Chefbigfeet

#7 CHEFBIGFEET

CHEFBIGFEET
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:40 PM

Tried Uninstall Plus! and each time I delete one of the listed entries, it was still listed. I guess I will just have to ignore the entries or re-format and re-install Windows to clear the entries. I am not a neat freek but, 7 startup entries seems a lot to ignore. If I am wrong I am sure all of you will tell me so.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:40 PM

Seven entries does seem like a problem. I have often removed start menu entries using Spybot Search and Destroy's expert mode. There are some dangerous things but also some very useful things in there. Open Spybot and click on the Mode entry, and choose expert. Make sure "Startup" is one of the checked items and it will show up on the left pane. Find the entry you wish to remove and highlight it and tell it do delete the entry above the window. Be very careful to not delete the wrong entries.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:49 AM

Startup entries are only a problem (only draw resources) when they are set to run, and there is actually a program to run associated with them.

Have you tried a registry cleaner like CCleaner (which is faitly safe as registry aps go)?

I really hate to mess with the registry when there is not a problem though.

If you do decide on using CCleaner, even though it is safe a vast majority of the time, do a registry backup before mking any changes (I believe CCleaner offers you the opportunity to do so although you can always do it manually.)

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 April 2006 - 12:50 AM.

#10 CHEFBIGFEET

CHEFBIGFEET
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the imput about spybot. I followed your instructions and deleted each of the files in questions. However, again they were not deleted. I will try CCleaner as suggested by another member but, at this point I doubt anything wil work. Thanks Again. Chefbigfeet

#11 CHEFBIGFEET

CHEFBIGFEET
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:49 PM

Just finished using CCleaner, a nifty little program, which removed lots of old stuff from the system but, left me with the same "Magnificent Seven" startup files. I feel like I am faced with the "Gordian Knot" or the "Riddle of the Sphynx". If it wasn't so frustrating,getting to try all these new tools and programs can be quite enjoyable. Thanks Again to All who have come to my assistance. This Forum is a wealth of useful information. Chefbigfeet

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:43 AM

Do you have the commercial version of ad-aware installed by any chance? If so there is a program called ad-watch that sometimes interferes with the removal of these programs.

#13 CHEFBIGFEET

CHEFBIGFEET
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 07:19 PM

Yes, I do have Adware by lavasoft installed. please tell me more about how it interferes with deleting the entries. Maybe that's the problem. I would appreciate your assistance in this matter. Thanks in advance. Chefbigfeet

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:37 PM

Adaware comes in several versions -

The freeware version called "Personal", and then several versions you pay for that have different features added.

I think Albert wants to know which version you have?

#15 CHEFBIGFEET

CHEFBIGFEET
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:03 PM

I have the one you pay for: Adware SE build 1.06r1. I turned off the program (Unloaded) and ran CClean and all of the entries (ALLLLLLLLLL of the entries) in startup, that I have been working on were Finally Gone. Thank you all very much. Kudos to "Enthusiat" for finding the key. Albert I hope the above captioned version information is what you wanted. If you need any more information on the program please advise. Again, thanks to the All. Chefbigfeet

Edited by CHEFBIGFEET, 04 April 2006 - 11:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users