Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skype can't connect.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 elinatim

elinatim

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

I am running Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion.

I have used Skype on this computer many times. Suddenly it has stopped working correctly. I have found many users all over the Internet with the same problem.

When I log into Skype, it pretends (for several minutes) to try to log me in. Then I get a red circle with an exclamation point and the notification: Skype can't connect.

My other laptop (an Acer) is still working on the same home connection. Both computers are connected wirelessly.

This computer uses an AVG antivirus program and a windows firewall (which is configured to allow Skype).

Here are the steps I have taken so far:

* Make sure the firewall allows Skype.exe and the Skype launch program.

* Make an inbound Skype rule and outbound Skype rule to make sure the firewall is not blocking Skype.

* Quit Skype. Uninstall. Remove all Skype registry entries. Reinstall Skype (version 6.2.0.106). Restart everything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 riovista

riovista

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

I am having the same problem on a customer's computer. Same OS and HP laptop. Have tried the same solutions without success. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they fixed it.

#3 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:08 PM

I have fixed the problem on my computer. Well...sort of. I was using OpenDNS's filtering service, which I liked very much because it worked at the gateway level, which means that all of the computers on my home network were protected. Unfortunately, when Microsoft acquired Skype, they made changes to the way Skype connections showed up on the Internet...which resulted in the blocking of my Skype connections. When I disabled the filter, Skype started working again. (Now I have a different problem, but I think I can find a solution to that.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users