Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Typing problems in IE but not in Chrome

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AStalcup

AStalcup

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

Customer here has a new Asus K55VD-DB51 that he purchased from us in August.  It originally came with Win 7 Home 64.  We ran the anytime upgrade to Pro since he's using it for his business.  He had it for about three months when he came in one day complaining that he could go to Google.com but once he got there he couldn't type any key words into the Google page's search box.  He could type up in the address bar, but when he would go back to a screen that required typing into a text box, no text would show up.  We played with this laptop in here for weeks trying to duplicate the issue and we couldn't.  We finally sent the computer in to Asus to see if they could figure out where the issue was at.  They replaced the motherboard and sent it back.  A couple weeks later, the customer comes back in saying it's doing it again.  We check it in again and for two weeks we can't duplicate the issue.  We did a factory restore on it using the recovery partition and then did the anytime upgrade to Pro just like before and gave it back to him.  A week later he comes back in with the browser open to Google.com and shows us how he can't type anything into the search box in the webpage.  I closed the browser down & reopened it and it did the same thing.  The same issue happens with Google, Yahoo, Bing, any search engine I go to.  I plugged in a USB keyboard to see if I could narrow it down to an issue with the laptop's keyboard.  The external keyboard didn't work either.  I then downloaded Chrome and went back to Google.com and suddenly I could type in the search box again.  I went back and forth between the two browsers several times and consistently the Chrome would work and the IE wouldn't.  I rebooted the machine and suddenly the typing starts working in IE again.

Based on that, we decided the issue had to be with IE9 (since there's been plenty of other issues with it since it came out), so we uninstalled the IE9 update and took it back to IE8.  Once again it's working fine, but my problem is that we've never been able to get the issue to happen in here.  The only time we've seen the problem right in front of us is the few times he's physically carried the laptop into the store and puts it down in front of us with the keyboard not working.  Since I've never been able to get the keyboard to not work, I have no way of knowing if it's going to happen again.  

Can anyone think of anything I haven't tried yet that could be causing his keyboard issue?

Edited by hamluis, 25 February 2013 - 05:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 9696andrew

9696andrew

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

its not a keyboard issue.  this is the first google result.

http://aztech.net.au/node/139

did you try it?

#3 AStalcup

AStalcup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

The first two entries registered successfully, but the third gave me this error:

"The module "mshtml.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.  Please check that mshtml.dll is a valid dll or ocx file and try again."

#4 AStalcup

AStalcup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Any ideas anyone?

#5 AStalcup

AStalcup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

I did the following:

Open a command prompt window (Start>Run>cmd) and type the following at the prompt

regsvr32 mshtmled.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

The error I got was:

"The module "mshtml.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.  Please check that mshtml.dll is a valid dll or ocx file and try again."

What do I do now?

Edited by hamluis, 25 February 2013 - 05:02 PM.
Removed duplicate content, merged topics - Hamluis.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Getting the dreaded 'the module "mshtml.dll" was loaded - Microsoft Community

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 AStalcup

AStalcup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Already done a clean install and ran the upgrade to pro again and the third dll reregistration still errors out like before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users