Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee Vs Pc-cillin Deathmatch!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 emmai

emmai

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:03 PM

Okay, so I use the security programs that are provided by my campus computing services. Previously, it was McAfee, but they've just recently decided to change it, for some reason or another, and have asked people to download Trend-Micro's PC-Cillin, using the school's registration code.

I follow their instructions, it downloads fine, and I reboot so that the installation can finish and I can get rid of McAfee. This is where the problem starts. The computer starts up fine, gets to the desktop, works for all of about 30 seconds while start-up programs are loading, and then freezes. And I can't do diddly-squat. The computer works fine in Safe Mode, but I'm unable to un-install McAfee or PC-Cillin, and I can't use System Restore, because for extraneous reasons, it's been off for about the past week.

I've disabled both programs from running at start-up, but that still hasn't fixed the fact that I can't un-install either of them, or get the computer to work properly in normal start-up.

Any advice on how to remove one or both and/or get everything running normal?

ETA: Got it all fixed up with no damage done!

Edited by emmai, 02 April 2006 - 12:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:48 AM

What was the problem prey tell?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic