Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing case fan in plexiglass?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cctaylor88

cctaylor88

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

This may seem like a super noob question, but I am just that when it comes to case modding. I have never before done any serious case mods to my pc and would really like to start doing it purely for better visuals, as most case mods are just that.

I have an Antec 300 Illusion case...and the side panel is completely steel...my ultimate goal is to cut out a window of sorts and place some plexiglass in its place. Now, what I can't wrap my head around is how do I install a fan in the plexiglass itself?

I want to buy two 80mm case fans (clear LED) and install them right into the plexiglass itself...so when you look at the side of my case there will be a window with the two clear case fans installed but I don't really understand how to accomplish this. I have searched all over youtube and google trying to find installation of case fans in plexiglass and can find nothing, so I am here looking for help! I mean the only thing on the outside of the plexiglass will be 4 mounting screws correct? So should I just cut 4 holes for the screws and then a much larger hold in the plexglass in order for the fans to intake air?

Thanks guys, as someone who has never personally modded and can't find videos on plexiglass fan installation this is difficult for me to visualize and I would like as much information as possible before cutting holes everywhere. Thanks in advance!!

For reference I guess I would like something similar to this

Edited by hamluis, 25 February 2013 - 05:37 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Well, if all your wanting to do is mount them on the plexiglass, just put the fan where you want, mark where the screw holes are on the fan on the plexiglass, and use a drill to cut the holes. However, if thats all your going to do, Im not sure I would even bother-the fans need to be able to move air, having one side of the fan completly blocked will limit its effectiveness. What I would do, is put the fan up, trace the inner hole where the fan sits-then use a dremel to cut out vents (either circular, with notches between to hold up the individual pieces) or even rectangular, or whatever design you want. I would actually practice the design you want on paper first, because once you cut that plexiglass, its a done deal-you only have one shot without buying new plexiglass.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users