Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk fails gives Error after new HDD and OS install error 766f6c756d652e63 3f1

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ginmasterjedi

ginmasterjedi

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Dear Bleeping Computer Community,

I need advice on what to do.  I'm working on a client's laptop, compaq Presario CQ57, 2gb ram 250 GB HDD.

I installed a new harddrive and installed a new copy of Win 7 Home Premuim x64

After it reboots, it just hangs in the welcome screen with the Windows logo.

I reboot via Windows 7 repair disc and run C: chkdsk /r  and I get this message "disc check error 766f6c756d652e63 3f1"

and it's really getting to me.

Please advise

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Hi -

The error is not rare and I have linked the better of several items I found - In most cases certain antivirus programs will cause this issue.

I suggest you temporary disable the antivirus and check the result.

If the issue persists, please troubleshoot in Clean Boot Mode. Article is too long to print - See the guide below (Error 766f6c756d652e63 3f1)
Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program

Thank You -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Related issue, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/f1e5afb8-e3c7-43cb-abf5-878055f6c77a/ .

Louis

#4 ginmasterjedi

ginmasterjedi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

thank you. but neither of those helped. as i mentioned in my previous post " BRAND NEW hard drive and BRAND NEW OS install" there arern't any antivirus/firawall programs isntalled.  All i get is after the OS isntalls, the pc restarts and just hangs at the " starting windows" and the miscrosoft logo for what seems like forever. I let it run OVERNIGHT ( 10+ hours mind you) and nothing happened. I've tried reinstalling the OS from an OEM disc, same thing. Put in another NEW harddrive ( both are WD blue 320GB) I tired MDT, same thing. I even replaced both memory modules.... still nothing....  so at this point I just dont know what to do.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

IMO...apparently there are only two items that can be the problem...your method of install or the source of the install. 

What was the reason for the install of the new hard drive?  What was ailing the system that seemingly mandated a change?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 February 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

Just for future reference, you can use the installation disk to access the System Recovery Options where you have the Command Prompt which you can use to run the chkdsk c:/r

To do this insert the installation DVD in your optical drive.

You will be prompted to press a key to boot from the disk, press Enter.

Click on Next, then click on Repair your computer.

Hilight Windows 7 and click Next.

In System Recovery Options click on Command Prompt, then type in chkdsk c:r and press Enter, then press the Y key.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 ginmasterjedi

ginmasterjedi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

thank you for the response. It needed a new HDD becuase the old one failed, was making severe grinding sounds etc. After i installed the new HDD, installed the OS by changing the boot order to boot from CD in the BIOS menu. after that failed,  i went into System Repair from the istall dvd, ran chkdsk /r and got that error  "disc check error 766f6c756d652e63 3f1" as i mentioned in my first post. I even tried 3 different OEM install DVDs.....  it's just really weird

Edited by ginmasterjedi, 20 February 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#8 ginmasterjedi

ginmasterjedi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

I got it to work finally!  I took out the new HDD, hooked it up to my office machine, formatted it in Disk Manager using the long format option( uncheked Quick Format) 

put it back into the laptop, insterted OEM Windows 7 Home Premium booted it form the disk form the BIOS menu and it installed really quickly.  the laptop rebooted, logged into windows, updated all software and drivers etc. 

so thank you all for trying to help me figure this one out!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Glad you resolved it, thanks for letting us know :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users