Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What setting did I change?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmyboy1

Jimmyboy1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Running Windows xp pro, sp3.  I can't even remember exactly what I was trying to accomplish, or how I got there but I sure caused a headache. I remember the setting was on windows 98' and drop down had windows ME, as well as windows 2000 Nt or whatever, under that as choices. For some dumb reason, I changed it from windows98, to windows 2000. Few seconds later, computer shut down then restarted, and now all my icons of installed programs are gone, and it is just like i've done a fresh install or something. Ststem restore in programs gone, just the basics now, and I have to try restart in safe mode to attempt to do restore. Tried 2 restores that said it worked, but computer still starts and loads like fresh install and no options like system restore etc., only accessories in all programs and address book only thing listed in there.  If i could just get back to that setting that I changed, maybe I can put it back to windows98' and reverse this mess. As well when it restarted, it re-installed mouse, keyboard etc.  None of my old programs come up when I click "all programs", but when I go to control panel, add/remove, and the list of currently installed programs comes up, all the programs not coming up now, are all still listed as installed. ?  Anyone have any idea what/how I did that, so i can try going abck and changing it back to 98'??

Thanks in advance.     Jimmy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Were you trying to run a program in compatibility mode?

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Jimmyboy1

Jimmyboy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

To be quite honest, i'm not sure. I had so many things going on at the time, plus setting up another computer in same area for work use. I know I've seen the seeting before, just cannot figure out how to get back to it. It's was referring to which base operating system it was using, ( windows 98) and i changed it to windows 2000, not thinking about it,( obviously) and tehn it all went haywire. Currently now, everytime I restart my computer, it wants to give me a tour of windows xp, loads keyboard, mouse etc., and wants me to calibrate them too, even though they work.  Still shows all my past programs in add/remove but nowhere else. Even my free antivirus, reloads like it has just been installed. ????Wow, did I screw up good this time.  LOL

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

I would have gone for compatibility mode too but I can't think of anything that would cause such serious consequences.  Is the PC actually booting into XP?  Could it be related to setting up a dual boot?  Try hitting F8 on startup and see what options appear.

Edit:  You could open your boot.ini file in Notepad to see what OS are referenced.

Edited by Nanobyte, 19 February 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,613 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

You say you were running XP SP3. But then you mention settings for Win 98, ME & 2000 NT

--- Is your computer an actual XP computer or was it updated to XP from a prior OS?

--- Can you get into Device Manager and see if there are Red or Yellow markers and/or driver issues?

Go to the computer company's website and find the drivers for the OS you want and evaluate whether or not to download & install the ones for the OS you want?

--- You have nothing to lose if you can't come up with a solution unless you want to continue to use the computer the way it is now

--- Prior ideas have been proposed but I don't know how we can relate to the different options you mentioned unless there is someone who has seen the option settings you are talking about

--- I never used 2000 NT but I suspect their drivers are quite different than XP since XP operates on NTFS

--- I'm not an expert so I'm not explaining myself in this area very well but I wish I could

#6 jraju

jraju

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

hey, unless one knows what he was doing, it is not possible to give suggestions to it. The problems you mentioned appeared to be not at all related chains. No action would prescribe the sequences of events described by you. Even you could not restore to previous period with the old files not shown is a new problem.

If you mean the files, try pandora recovery tools which will restore the files accidentally deleted. Even restoring action will keep the files intact, and if necessary would have copies of the files previously stored.

Please exactly recollect what you were on.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

This has nothing to do with compatibility mode. Right click your desktop and click properties. Look in the display properties dialogue box under Themes. Did you change the theme perhaps?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

This has nothing to do with compatibility mode. Right click your desktop and click properties. Look in the display properties dialogue box under Themes. Did you change the theme perhaps?

In addition to the fact that the discussion left that tack a number of posts ago, what setting in Themes involves Windows 98 and Windows2000?

#9 jraju

jraju

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

Hi, while reading the original thread, i found no display problem . The problem is total vanishing of programs and files altogether except the installed os. is that correct?

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,613 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292533

--- Although it doesn't address your exact problem, as already requested you need to recall what program you applied your change to

--- Call the program back up and revert back to windows98 (Consider XP if this doesn't work)

--- Unfortunately I'm not confident that will work, but it's worth a try because at least that option will be known whether or not it worked

--- If you can't recall what you program you were working on, maybe it will dawn on you one of these days

As already requested bring up the Display properties

--- Check them out and report what they are

--- Themes

------ What Theme are you set to?

--- Appearance

------ What is your Windows & Buttons setting?

--- Settings

------ What is your screen resolution?

------ What is your color quality?

--------- Click on Advanced in the lower right corner

--------- With the General tab screen, what option has the radio button in the Compatibility section

--------- Note the 256 color more section - Maybe the game/program you were checking on is applicable

------ Additionally in the Settings tab, click on advanced

Finally please keep track of whatever work you do on a computer.

--- Have a notebook handy for anything you do unless you absolutely know what you are doing at the time

--- That will eliminate being too busy or not being able to recall what you did

An additional thought came to my mind

--- Run dxdiag

--- Check the display tab and see what the settings are

--- Run the tests

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users