Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing during startup.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chirozon

Chirozon

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

My screen flickers black for a split second, then everything stops responding. Audio cuts off, cursor won't move, ctrl-alt-del does nothing. At first this happened at random, usually within about ten minutes of startup. Got worse very quickly, and now I can't even load Windows before it happens. Can't even start in Safe Mode. Always seems to get through the BIOS fine, though.

Before this, I noticed my computer wouldn't recover from Sleep mode on the first attempt. Either I'd get a black screen, or the login screen would show up but keyboard and mouse wouldn't respond at all. LEDs on keyboard didn't work, no light from optical mouse. Switching off and on again would resume Windows as normal. Don't know if this is related.

When I first noticed the problem, I tried a system restore. No change. After Windows stopped loading altogether, I tried a clean boot. Same problem. Screen flickers, then freeze. Doesn't seem to happen at any particular point; sometimes it's when the Windows logo appears, sometimes when the progress bar is up, sometimes I get a black screen right after choosing to start windows. I also tried booting from a recovery disk, and again, same problem. Says it's loading the files, flicker, freeze.

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit, and I haven't made any recent system changes.

I'm guessing this is hardware related since I can't even boot from a CD. I managed to run Crystal Disk Info before Windows stopped loading, and it reported no hard drive problems. I also tried to run Windows Memory Diagnostics from the boot menu, but I'm pretty sure that froze as well. Stuck at 0%, and pressing Esc to exit did nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Hi Chirozon and Welcome to BC community.:)

The first thing to try is to use the bare essentials or strip down most components not needed. I presume this is a desktop you are posting. Remove or alternately use one stick of RAM on different slots, check your power and data connectors if one is not worn out and make sure they are all inserted on the right connections. Remove the Hard drive and use an onboard video if the mobo has a built in VGA chip. Remove the CMOS battery and press the power button (with desktop unplugged on power source) for 30 seconds. Return the battery then try powering up to see the difference.

Tekken

#3 Chirozon

Chirozon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, the RAM seems to have been the problem. Everything works fine with only one stick. Just have to figure out which one's busted and I'm golden. Thanks!

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

Thanks for posting back the solution.thumbup2.gif

Tekken

#5 Chirozon

Chirozon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Have to take it back; I don't think this has been solved.

While everything seems fine with just one stick of RAM, I have three others. If I add even one of them, in any slot, the problem resurfaces, though sometimes I can at least get Windows to run for a while before it freezes.

It doesn't seem likely that all three sticks went bad at once. I also managed to run memtest on one of the (supposedly non-working) sticks and it reported no errors.

Tried unplugging both hard drives and booting from CD. The problem persists.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Have to take it back; I don't think this has been solved.

While everything seems fine with just one stick of RAM, I have three others. If I add even one of them, in any slot, the problem resurfaces, though sometimes I can at least get Windows to run for a while before it freezes.

It doesn't seem likely that all three sticks went bad at once. I also managed to run memtest on one of the (supposedly non-working) sticks and it reported no errors.

Tried unplugging both hard drives and booting from CD. The problem persists.

Try each of the RAM sticks alone in the slot that appears to work fine.  If the problem happens with the other three RAM sticks while they are in there alone, then that essentially tells you that the other RAM sticks are likely bad.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

There might be also be a slot that is broken. Use only the known slot that used to work or makes your computer bootable or not likely create those freezing problem to check on the difference. When that happens,

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users