Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Normal upload totals for everyday surfing?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 G_MAN1974

G_MAN1974

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Hello everyone.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.

yesterday I downloaded Net Meter to monitor my internet usage.

After surfing for a little while, I checked to see the totals.

Download - 46.69MB

Upload - 6.77 MB

I haven't uploaded anything so why that amount?

I use wireless internet connection. Is it just from my computer talking to the router and servers from the sites I'm visiting? I recently had a n issue with the Smart HDD malware and am now a little paranoid. I use Norton IS 2012 for AV protection and have Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, all showing clean.

Running Vista 64bit SP 2 if that matters.

Edited by hamluis, 18 February 2013 - 12:14 PM.
Moved from Vista to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

There is all sorts of traffic up and down.  Mostly apps looking for updates.  As soon as you start a browser, it's connecting to the DNS server to get the IP address of the site you are trying to connect to, then it's sending a request to the site to start downloading the page and sending cookie information.  Every time you want to do something your PC sends a data string somewhere.  The Internet is not psychic, yet.

It's just like when your PC is doing nothing, it's doing a whole bunch of housekeeping under the hood.

Edited by Nanobyte, 18 February 2013 - 09:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users