Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Log On To Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ramona

ramona

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:27 PM

My son was setting up a router on my computer so that he could hook up his own computer via the router. Somehow he changed my password for windows on my computer. Try as he might, he has been unsuccessful at recalling what he set the password to. My computer boots up, but then asks for my password and of course my password doesn't work. What can i do?... and will i lose everything on my computer? I hope not as i have a lot of photos and songs etc i do not wish to lose.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:28 AM

If you have a seperate "Administrator" try logging into with the old password.Generally users setup several accounts.

Administrator (default and cannot be deleted)
MyName (Probabily the one you are referring to)
Dad's (Can be limited or Admin)
Son's (Can be limited or Admin)

Hopefully you did not use Administrator for your primary account.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 ramona

ramona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:05 PM

As far as i know the user has always been Administrator. I have never had a different user name. I don't have a windows 2000 cd, but i could borrow my friends windows 98 and windows xp cds. If i do this, will i lose all my pictures and music i had on my computer?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:33 PM

Hello.
You have to use the type of disk that came with the Windows. You will need a Windows 2000 Pro disk. If you try to use the other diskes you will loose all your data. If you install XP from you friends disk when you log onto the Microsoft web site to update Microsoft will disable the installed program on both computer.
Either buy the OEM verison of W2000 Pro or XP Pro, and do a clean install.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Ladydreamrider

Ladydreamrider

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:03 PM

There are some password recovery programs out there. Also, if you remove the cmos battery and put it back in you can reset the computer password.
Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance,but to do what lies clearly at hand. - Thomas Carlyle

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:35 PM

There are some password recovery programs out there. Also, if you remove the cmos battery and put it back in you can reset the computer password.

Removing the BIOS battery only resets a BIOS password, not the OS password. And if there isn't a password, you'd reset the BIOS to default, which may or may not have serious consequences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users