Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Security concern

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hi,

Even though I have automatic updating enabled I occasionally check for security updates for my system (win 7x64). This AM I noticed that an important security update was available so I allowed it to do so. However during the process I received a notification that my virus and firewall were turned off and then a screen popped-up giving me the option to enable both which I did. Never experienced this in the past with updates and this caused me concern. Ran MBAM as a result but it found nothing as well as SAS.

Here is the update

Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2804527 (4.2.223.1)

Installation date: ‎2/‎18/‎2013 7:25 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

This package will update Microsoft Security Essentials client on the user's machine.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=195462

Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=195463

I don't know if I am over-reacting but nowadays "better safe than sorry". Would appreciate any input from BC.

Regards........ sikntired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Re : KB2804527 Direct from M/soft information page - Update to MSE -

Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Security Essentials that offers performance enhancements and some new functionality within the program. Microsoft constantly works to improve the product and this is a normal/periodic update through regular update channels. As such, this upgrade is available via the Windows Update process and can be installed automatically, but if it is preferred you can also install the update using the following process:

1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials.
  2. Click the down arrow located to the right of Help.
  3. Click Check for software updates. A Windows Update window will appear.
  4. Click Install updates.
  5. If prompted, click Restart now. Your computer will restart and the update will install.

Edited by noknojon, 18 February 2013 - 07:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users