Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless N adapter cycles disconnecting and reconnecting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HeeHaw5130

HeeHaw5130

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

Hello. I've been somewhat plauged with this mysterious (and sometimes frustrating) problem. Sometimes, my wireless-n adapter (Encore ENLWI-N) will go through an episode of endlessly cycling through disconnecting and reconnecting to my wireless router (Linksys WRT-54G) without being actually connected with any internet connection. Sometimes I'm able to simply log off my account and log back in for the utility to work again, but other times the only recourse ends up having to completely reboot the computer in order for the utility function properly. This problem also comes up whenever the computer comes out of standby mode, resulting in having to reboot as well.

I recently upgraded the wireless drivers and utility (I use Ralink's driver/utility package instead of Encore's, btw) to the latest version in hopes of actually getting it to work properly for once, but it made the problem much worse, going as far as changing my welcome screen to the classic Win2k/NT logon window. When I reverted back to my previous driver/utility package, it seemed to work properly for some time until recently bringing it back out of standby mode just a little while ago. Again, it went back to its endless cycles of disconnects/reconnects. Logging out and back in didn't help, and I was forced to restart the machine like always.

Going a little more in depth into the Event Viewer, the only notable things I could find were a couple errors with the IPSec Service and concerning a bad logon attempt by me despite not having any problems doing so. Messages from Event Viewer are:

Event Type:    Failure Audit
Event Source:    Security
Event Category:    Policy Change
Event ID:    615
Date:        2/18/2013
Time:        4:51:25 AM
User:        NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer:    GARFIELD1
Description:
IPSec Services:     IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

Event Category:    Account Logon
Event ID:    680
Time:        4:52:49 AM
User:        NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
Logon attempt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
 Logon account:  Doug Plemms
 Source Workstation: GARFIELD1
 Error Code: 0xC000006A

Event Category:    Logon/Logoff
Event ID:    529
Time:        4:52:49 AM
User:        NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
Logon Failure:
     Reason:        Unknown user name or bad password
     User Name:    Doug Plemms
     Domain:        GARFIELD1
     Logon Type:    2
     Logon Process:    Advapi  
     Authentication Package:    Negotiate
     Workstation Name:    GARFIELD1

I've tried everything I could possibly think of, short of getting a new wireless NIC. Even tried simply reactivating the wireless profile, remaking the profile, but all that seems to work most of the time is rebooting entirely.

Wireless card: Encore ELWI-N, using Ralink's chipset WLAN drivers/utility

Router: Linksys WRT-54G

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-8IG1000mk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ben79k

ben79k

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Is this an internal adapter, if so, is it a full PCI one for a desktop, mini PCI for a notebook or are we talking about a USB adapter?

right off the bat I am wondering if Driver/Firmware are updated fully on both your router and adapter. Please check for this, if you need help let me know. I doubt this is the problem however since you sound knowledgeable.

Main Rig: FX4100@4.2Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1866, ASUS M5A99X EVO, 2x Radeon 6870, 128GB Vertex4 SSD, 1TB HDD, Thermaltake Chaser MK-2

#3 HeeHaw5130

HeeHaw5130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

The driver and utility were updated, but performed horribly, so I was forced to revert back to the older version I used. Either way, both of them cycle the connection on and off from the router whenever I bring it back out from standby mode, and I've been trying to find a fix for it.

It's an internal PCI adapter for a desktop machine.

#4 ben79k

ben79k

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Not too sure at that point, then. if you did a firmware update and then downgraded the driver, that could possibly conflict. My second thought out of the air is that you could flash you motherboard's BIOS, it might fix some things. sorry I cant be of more help

Main Rig: FX4100@4.2Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1866, ASUS M5A99X EVO, 2x Radeon 6870, 128GB Vertex4 SSD, 1TB HDD, Thermaltake Chaser MK-2

#5 HeeHaw5130

HeeHaw5130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

It could be a firmware problem with the adapter, but the manufacturer for both the card itself or the chipset company has ever done one. Only for the drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users