Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running ComboFix with AVG

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DavidCreighton

DavidCreighton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

I was curious about the thing where ComboFix won't run with AVG on. This laptop had AVG, Avast & Mcafee all installed on it and it gets the blue screen once windows starts not in safe mode. So I  uninstalled those programs started safe and ran MBAM & SAS which usually seems to work. They both found 10 items of the Trojan Tugger, but neither one successfully removed it so I figured I would try ComboFix.

I understand running ComboFix isn't something you do without supervision, but there is really very little on this computer and I have the Vista CD & product key so i figure I can just do a fresh install if i mess it up.

I did actually uninstall AVG. It still shows up in the program list but if I click uninstall now it says that the program is already uninstalled which makes me wonder why its on the list. But the real problem is that when I run ComboFix it crashes the computer I believe because AVG is on. It does give the warning dialog that AVG is installed. I realize this isn't your program and really not your problem, but I was just wondering if there was some process or service that I was supposed to stop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

I will see if I can get this topic moved to the Am I Infected forum where you can get the proper help you need.

Edited by dc3, 19 February 2013 - 01:56 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Its never a good idea to run multiple AVs at once, especially not AVG and McAfee. They'll fight for control of the system. I strongly recommend you remove both of them using their uninstallers:

McAfee uninstaller: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/mcafee-consumer-products-removal-tool/

AVG uninstaller: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/avg-remover-2012/

Then see what issues are still remaining with only Avast running.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

You may need to reinstall AVG to completely uninstall it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users