Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Security - The money.server.msn.com requires .........

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 denniswhite

denniswhite

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:57 AM

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 PC and have started coming across a Windows Security box that keeps popping up every few minutes asking ....

"The server.money.msn.com at DSL Router requires a username and password.

Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authenticatiion without a secure connection)."

I'm not aware of having a username for this service and have tried various accounts that I have, like hotmail for example, to no avail. I know it has something to do with a desktop money conversion gadget I have running which I would like to retain. The popup stops when I close the gadget.

This only started appearing after I changed some networking setting to try resolve another issue I had connecting to my other Windows PC. I've since rolled back those changes.

Any help or ideas would be most appreciated.

Regards

Dennis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Hello Dennis and Welcome -

How long have you had the desktop money conversion gadget installed (I do not know of it yet) ??

Often  these programs are a Freeware / Trialware program, or they expire after a certain time.

This would explain one part of the message, or the program may have a Glitch -

Can  this program be reinstalled if you remove it, or is it from a company that you work for ??

Thank You -

EDIT -

Is there a Company name for this program as I have found about 5 versions -

Edited by noknojon, 18 February 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#3 denniswhite

denniswhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

Thanks for replying,

The desktop gadget was pre-installed with the Lenovo PC when I bought it, along with a few others (Local Weather, Calendar, CPU utilzation etc).

Right mouse clicking the desktop provides a list that includes Gadget Gallery. This opens a box which contains loads of others. Looking at the

Currency Convertor, it says it's is a Microsoft app (www.gallery.microsoft.com ).

If you want to add more gadgets you are directed to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/personalize/gadgets.

I hadn't tried this, but you can remove and add gadgets from the gallery. I did just that with the Money Convertor app about 30 minutes ago and I've not yet seen the Windows Security popup so I think that may have just done the trick.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Dennis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users