Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive file System randomly changes by itself, the most bizarre thing ever..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 c2p2009

c2p2009

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

I have a serious problem that apparently should never happen.. 

So, i woke up the other day to see my Windows 7 computer is now completely screwed up that i am on right now..

C drive is Mirror RAIDed to let you know.

It is reporting 74.1MB free of 465GB total on the drive.

No matter what i delete, it does NOT EVER free up space.

As a matter of fact, some files delete, then come right back, files i've added myself.. weird #1

Two, i run chkdsk in windows, it says C drive is a RAW drive and cant scan however it boots up fine to it every time.  weird #2

So i then use windows repair command prompt to chkdsk /F /R  It sees it's NTFS JUST FINE.. but reports ZERO errors..  weird #3

I scan using Intel Matrix Storage Console in windows, NO ERRORS, weird #4

But i am getting Disk I/O errors like crazy in windows logs and in programs, etc..   weird #5

I selected all files on Disk C-  total space in use under 300gb, but showing 465GB in use.. weird #6

Scanned for infections with AVG, no errors, i tried malwarebytes, will not open- 0xc000005. weird #7

So i have a drive that can't be read but is read but reporting wrong size but measures right size that has no errors but has errors. 

I'm to the point of spending a week to just reformat.. but i do not know if that would even help.. 

I reverted back to a previous stored backup image.. SAME problem..  So it's not the time or disk image in use that's causing it, it's like a hardware fault but everything checks out ok...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Hi

Certainly sounds like a problem with one of the drives but it could also be a RAID problem.

I would check the SMART data on each of the drives, but to prevent possibly making things worse, I'd do it in a roundabout way. It would involve pulling both drives, attaching them to another computer. Then booting to a Linux LiveCD so as not to mount the filesystems on the drives and then run GSmartControl on them to check if one is bad. If so, replace it and rebuild the array or break the array and use just the good disk.

I'm not sure how GSmartControl would see the drives when in the RAID array. There's a Windows version...

http://gsmartcontrol.berlios.de/home/index.php/en/Downloads

Someone else may know an easier way to check the SMART data on the drives.

James

#3 c2p2009

c2p2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

Ok did a scan, 2nd drive has 1,260 SMART errors but is still passing.... 

So, if i pull this out and leave the RAID in broken mode or whatever it's called, could that fix the file system temporarily?

#4 c2p2009

c2p2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

I just removed the "bad" hard drive and it boots up with all the same problems still.. 

I'm going to scan each drive with manuf. disc and if that doesnt find anything.. then i'm lost.

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful but with RAID issues it is so hard for me to have a high enough level of situational awareness to be able to advise you on what to try without accidentally making the problem worse.

The most important rule for helping people through a forum is "Don't make their problem worse."

There is malware that can fill your drive and give "disk error" messages so you may want to look down that path some more. If you post the GSmartControl reports for the drives, I will analyze them for you.

James

#6 c2p2009

c2p2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Well, i can only run AVG, i can't run things like malware or Viprerescue in windows.

I may be able to in the repair environment but instead of even trying, i'm backing up what i can and formatting the mirror raid fresh and starting over.

I believe this is what has happened and i can confirm it if i'm right if the format fixes windows-

My recovery software hadnt taken a snapshot in a year.. so i reverted back to the day of installation..

Well, that particular day, i had gotten a nasty infection that couldnt be fixed so i installed windows over itself and been running ever since.. 

I think somehow when i reverted back to that, when i may have infected myself again, i recovered back to 2013, it still carried the infection with it somehow.

So, we'll see hopefully soon enough if i'm right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users