Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Data

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Summer_00

Summer_00

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:44 PM

How do I transfer data from my old computer which runs Windows 95 to my new computer which runs Windows XP Home Edition. My old computer is an IBM ThinkPad which has no USB ports but does have a 3.5" disk drive. My new computer has several USB ports but no 3.5" disk drive. HELP! I need that data and don't want to have to pay to get it done somewhere.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jazzgirl

Jazzgirl

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

Here is a link to Microsoft's site on the files and settings transfer wizard. It will tell you all the options you can use to transfer files from the old computer to the new.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...november12.mspx

JG

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:38 AM

Pull the '95 hard drive and set the jumpers to Slave, and then install it in the XP machine on the same IDE ribbon and the XP Master drive. Open two explorer widows. One on the files you want to transfer, and one on the folder you wish to transfer to. Drag & drop files from the '95 drive to the folder on the XP drive.
You should be able to transplant the drives in about 45mins to an hour. When finished replace the drive. Your '95 computer should work loke nothing had happened.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:12 PM

My new computer has several USB ports but no 3.5" disk drive.

How do you mean? Is your new computer a laptop?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Summer_00

Summer_00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:14 PM

Yes my new computer is a Sony Vaio Laptop.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:40 PM

Since it's a laptop you won't be able to follow Acklan's advice. Does your old PC have an ethernet port (network card)? If so the easiest way might be to network the two PCs with a cross-over cable. You will need to set both computers to the same workgroup, make sure 'file and printer sharing' is enabled and then share the C: drive of the Win95 machine. Then you will be able to access all the files you want from the laptop and either copy them by hand or use the File and Settings Transfer wizard as Jazzgirl described.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:40 PM

Well needless to say you can scratch my recommendation. Sorry.

#8 Summer_00

Summer_00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:46 PM

No old computer does not have ethernet port.

#9 Summer_00

Summer_00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:48 PM

Actually whats an ethernet port look like?

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:15 AM

It would look like this: Ports.

The way to check for sure is to look in Device Manager:
Go to Control Panel.
Double click the 'System' icon.
Click the Hardware tab.
Click the Device Manager button.
You will see a list of hardware devices recognised by your system.

- see if you have an entry under Network Adaptors, if you do post back what's there. If you don't then you don't have an ethernet port.

Edited by Rimmer, 03 April 2006 - 01:18 AM.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:31 AM

The port it's self will look like an over sized telephone jack. The telephone being a RJ-11 and the ehternet being an RJ-45.

Here is a picture of both. The RJ-11 telephone on the left, and the RJ-45 ethernet on the right.

http://www.inf.aber.ac.uk/stunet/images/FAQ's/rj45rj11.jpg

Posted Image

#12 Summer_00

Summer_00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:26 PM

Okay I don't mean to be rude but you're kidding right?! The IBM is from 1996! it doesn't have a single phone jack on the damn thing.!

#13 Summer_00

Summer_00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:28 PM

Okay everyone can just give up cause your not going to find a solution that I can actually do aside from going to Best Buy or some other computer place. Someone mentioned something about pulling the hard drive from the old one and that's just not something I know anything about, but thanks for the help anyhow.

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:35 PM

Most computers that old that had access to the internet had a modem. It would have had two telephone jacks. I was not trying to confuse you just to show you what an ethernet port looked like compared to a telephone port. Sorry for the confusion.

#15 Summer_00

Summer_00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:14 PM

no, the modem on the IBM is removable from the outside and looks like a card and has a very strange outlet/port whatever the cord that plugs into that has a phone jack at the opposite end

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users