Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Computer is not Running on all Cylinders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fhallest

Fhallest

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Conspire over in the Malware forums recently refered me here for help as I do not have a malware issue.  He thinks its a XP operating system issue or hardware.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/480784/computer-not-running-on-all-cylinders-and-is-backfiring/

I am running XP Pro on my computer.  My computer is running very slow and takes forever to open any software application.  Many applications will start to run but just stop forcing me to restart my computer.  When I start my machine it will take a while to boot and a long pause with a black screen before it starts to boot up into windows xp. In addition when launching a program, if you watch the task manager you can see a selected application kind of running but it will not run correctly untill it has enough memory to run.  I am not sure if I have a hardware or software issue.  I am not sure where to start or what to do at this point.  I hope this information in addition to the malware posts will help find a solution.  I have also worked through all the guides listed with little or no success.  I am missing somthing or doing someing incorrectly.  Any advice would be very welcome at this point.

Thanks,

Randy

Edited by Fhallest, 17 February 2013 - 09:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

There is a pinned guide to Slow Computers in the main index of this forum.  You should do the basics first.  There's not much point in anyone repeating the list.  If you have already done the malware stuff, there is not much left to do, mostly startup items and disk cleanup.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

There are two things I would look at initially:

How much free space on Windows partition and how large is that partition?

What is the temperature reflected for the CPU?

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

Download Autoruns and Autorunsc Unzip it to your desktop and then double click autoruns.exe After the scan is finished then click on File>>>>>>>>>>>Save The default name will be autoruns.arn make sure to save it as Autoruns.txt under the file type option. in other words make sure it is a .txt file instead of .arn Attach the text in your next reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users