Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox takes too long to load youtube, hotmail, ehow, and others

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 replambe

replambe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

I'm using XP SP3. Everything was working fine until last Windows updates, a few days ago. Now certain websites take forever to load, only on Firefox. Other browsers are fine. Also, everything else on the computer works 100%. Can anyone help? This is driving me crazy. Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2013 - 10:28 PM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Try uninstalling...then reinstalling Firefox.

Louis

#3 replambe

replambe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

All right, I just uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, and the problem persists with youtube and hotmail. Any other ideas?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

Try restarting firefox with add-ons disabled. Go to FF Help menu and choose Restart FF with addons disabled then check the difference.

Tekken

#5 replambe

replambe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

All right, that seems to work, but should I really run FF with no add-ons? I at least want to use AdBlock Plus. I am guessing that some videos are taking time to load on youtube because the blocked ads take up time?

#6 replambe

replambe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

Wait, nevermind, I just tried it again and hotmail is still hanging...

#7 replambe

replambe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Actually, ok, I just downloaded Opera and hotmail hangs in that also... I still think this may be a Windows update issue...

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

When I first start Hotmail in Firefox it takes maybe up to 10 seconds to completely load.

Once it is loaded I open another tab and then right click on the Hotmail tab and choose to

pin it. Then using the refresh button inside Hotmail only takes a second. That's been my

experience.

Hotmail has had about 4 updates in the past few weeks and doesn't work as quick to load

as once did. From what I have read, eventually all Hotmail users will be moved to Outlook.

You can try out Outlook now through the settings in Hotmail.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

Try switching to Outlook...open Hotmail > click on Options in upper right corner > choose upgrade to Outlook.com

You can reverse that if you want to. I tested Outlook on my Linux OS/ Firefox a few updates ago and do remember it

faster to load but had a small glitch/ bug that caused me to switch back to Hotmail. May check it out again today...or later.

Got an email this morning from Microsoft notifying that Messenger users will be required to install Skype after April 8.

If you are a Messenger user and haven't installed Skype, you can do that now.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 replambe

replambe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

Switched to Outlook, speed is still the same. Also, youtube is still loading just as slow. It's driving me crazy.

#11 replambe

replambe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Nevermind, fixed it. All I had to do was delete cookies.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

You can block the third party....ad/ tracking cookies from installing in your browsers.

Firefox has announced that it will block them by default in a future release.

See info here for blocking the ad/ tracking...third party cookies:

Disable third-party cookies in IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome | How To - CNET

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users